"The Last Whisper" Focused Critique thread

Hey guys.

So, I started working on an animated short. Decided to begin a thread here and slowly add models and assets for people to comment on.

Anything goes. Critiques, suggestions, you are welcome to give your 2 cents on the matter.

If additional images are required, just let me know.

Here is the first model that I feel is almost…maybe…possibly near completion modeling wise. I want to be absolutely sure before I start to re-topo and such, because there is plenty to do anyways.

Mutant creature.

Cheers.

This is the main character.

Attachments

Wow, it looks great!
I would try to make the mutant’s head a little bigger but this one looks great too, it’s just my suggestion.:wink:

Very nice. Are you sculpting these in blender? Can we see some wires?

@TSF. I tend to do that. Would you say the mutant’s head needs to be bigger when viewed from the front and not so much from the side? Note taken. Will see what I can do.

@Brookesy. Yes, all is sculpted in Blender. Those are high-res models so showing the wires right now wont do any good. I am yet to re-topo.

Those weapons I consider finished. Two blades and a one-handed pick-axe/scythe type weapon.

Face close-up.

@Kalinaki. That is exactly what I meant.

Just finished with modeling the antagonist. C&C welcomed.

hey kalinaki , I follow your thread on the wip section and enjoy it and get inspired by it. I have one small note about this latest fella , his arms lack in volume i think . the bicep looks really big but horizontoly ( sorry about the spelling ) he looks very thin almost like he is starving. I guess u want to show as much of the pure muscle but i think ( to my taste ) u wouldent lose anything by just adding som volume . cheers . :

Thank you for the input rybergs.

I will see what I can do.

Hey Kalinaki, nice modelling, not much to report, except the biceps thingy, or more notably, the upper arm. From the muscles in the rest of the body you would expect it to be bigger, the definition is there, just needs some more volume and maybe weight.
Another thing is the use of weapons. Those blades might work, however the scythe as it is now is a very impractical weapon. If you’re going the “exotic weapons” way, it might be more believable to go for smaller sickles instead, such as Kamis. They don’t need to be fancy, in fact they would probably not be fancy at all. You can buy a dozen of them in Asia the same way you would buy a hammer, or a small axe in the west.

Indeed. Thank you for noticing. The good thing is, I thought about it and actually fixed the problem. I am considering few more adjustments to it.

Went ahead and textured those two, although its not final. Any suggestions and comments are welcomed.
Mutant- 7.7k faces.
Da hero-18.7k faces.

Hello there.

So, I got an update on the characters. Still need to add few items but its getting there.

Although I can still adjust proportions and what not, at this stage I am more than happy with the results I have.

I would love if someone is willing to give me any crits or suggestions how I can improve the colors. Color harmonies and balance is something I am learning and trying to implement but I recognize the fact it takes a trained eye to see tiny details that can improve an image or a character.

So, feel free. Any suggestion will be taken into consideration.

Have a nice day.

Grunt- 16k faces.
Mutant- 14k faces.
War-chief- 19k faces.

…and the main guy.

20k faces.

pretty interesting. :slight_smile:

Do the images appear too dark to you, BitterBrushAnim? Sometimes I have problems with the gamma and exposure.

Are the characters sufficiently lit?

The part of the arm betwine the shoulder and the forarm on the main character look too thin. Dont know how this part is named in english…

Light bein dark isent realy an issue as it suit the look of the character. Its more that you need more high front light to define the modeled detail on the pant that are hard to see right now.

Ok, cool. Thank you for the reply. My intention was to leave the front a bit darker but its just for the time being.

About the biceps, I think it is the camera angle and the way I have sculpted the model. Hoping to begin rigging soon and make a short animated preview.

Small update.

Decided to post the castle here as it is getting close to completion, the base structure at least.

Impressions and suggestions are welcomed.

Some more…