UV mapping unwrap problems

Hello,

I am a new blender user (and new to 3d modeling/etc.)

I’m trying to uvmap this object.

The uvmap/unwrap tutorials for cubes are pretty straight forward.
However with this object I can’t seem to get it to unwrap in a way that I can texture.

Here is an example of what I’d like have for my unwrap. Basically TOP, BOTTOM, SIDES.

Now I don’t know if perhaps its the model I made that is not suitable for the unwrapping I need? I’ve tried a few different seem mark methods. Can anyone help a newbie out?

Thank you.

Add seams around the top and bottom faces and one side edge, then U / Unwrap. Then you can scale the UVs as you see fit

or keep the top and bottom faces connected to the sides

Attachments

unwrap.blend (93 KB)

Thanks for help!

So it looks like the model you made was from a cylinder? Can you point me to a tutorial that might show me how to make that shape from a cylinder? I’m thinking the model was preventing the correct unwrap?

The reason I ask is I tried that seam method on my model and nothing happened…
And as much as I want to just use the file you provided, I don’t learn anything that way…

I appreciate whatever help you can give as I know you don’t have too. I know spoon feeding people can get old. lol

This is what happens when I unwrap my model

Attachments

Looks like you scaled the object in object mode so you have changes its scale value (look in transform values). When you unwrap you need the object to have a scale of 1 for each axis. Either model in edit mode or apply any scale with Ctrl+A in object mode before unwrapping

Demo http://screencast.com/t/6l146AB9KeUd

Great! Thank you so much for your help.

World needs more people like you!