to start or not to start learning python

After using blender for a while I have noticed that i need coding for some of my projects
I have never used a programming language before
should I learn python or give up on my projects?
Does it take more than some months to learn the basics?thank you

I say go for it! It doesn’t really take that long to get a grip on it. The O’Reilly books are a great resource. I found the Programming Python book for Python 3 at my local library and just kept renewing it for a few months - I had a pretty solid understanding by the time I returned it.

I just recently started really learning python. Its something I wanted to do for many years and now that I am finally over the initial hump I can see that I could have done it a long time ago. Python seems like a very useful language for programming in general and once you get going with scripting in Blender you will wonder how you were ever able to do without that skill. There seems to be piles of good Python learning resources on the web. “Learning Python the Hard Way” although a intimidating title looks to be a good one. Also, there is the Programming Arcade Games sight. There is also a great youtube series that teaches you how to program a game while learning Python.

For me, it took something a bit more structured. Coursera, the online college, offered a free Python class through Rice University.

The class was absolutely stellar! Very challenging and a lot of work but by the time I got done I felt like I knew enough Python and programming in general to really write my own programs! I do find scripting in Blender to be quite challenging as its often difficult to track down the correct way to call a function. That said I’m truly amazed at what I have accomplished within two months of starting to learn Python and only weeks with Blender scripting. If you can wait until February, Coursera is running their Python class again and I can’t recommend it highly enough! I say go for it! If you can stick it out you won’t regret it.