Holy crap.. Nvidia puts all of our simulations to shame.... IN REAL TIME!

This is cray cray.

This in blender! :slight_smile:

if only…

Doesnt maya already have something like this?

The only problem is that the Blender devs. will have to come up with their own solution, as existing libraries like Bullet and Elbeem don’t have something like this and Nvidia PhysX in general is incompatible with the GPL (yes, the Blender license rears its head again).

It’s probable that Blender won’t have something of this caliber anytime soon, but we may see some noticeable steps towards something like that as Vfx improvements is considered a major target for Project Gooseberry.

I want to see it running walking rag-doll simulations , like a crowd,

Yeah, bullet 3 is in it’s initial stages ,

I think the game engine would take a huge boost from this as well…

if they fixed libload, added GPU solved physics, and added View-port FX Glory… (android support)

Then the bge would be a nice development platform for indies… (not that I don’t love it already)

Sorry, but it ain’t gonna happen without paid development returning to the BGE-side of things like how it was for Yo Frankie!

The projects are just too big for the few developers still supporting it (as a spare-time project). The Viewport FX, sure, but the BGE as we know it will be gone and in its place will be a new interactive engine that (may or may not) take inspiration and code from the former (which will also likely not be able to run existing projects and may have fewer features related to the development of complex games).

Blender wet dreams…literally, realtime fluid simuation with buoyancy :slight_smile:

If that doesnt make you wet I dont know what will xD

Very cool, but considering its exclusivity to NVIDIA GPUs, this will probably only get used in few games, and not to an impressive extent as it would mean either isolating 35% of PC gamers (and 100% of console gamers 'cause NVIDIA doesn’t manufacture for any of them!), or having to create alternate graphical/gameplay solutions for everything these are used in so people using AMD graphics cards can actually play.

As cool as this is, this currently feels nothing more than a PR stunt to show people how much better off they are with NVIDIA, when in all likelihood this either won’t affect game development at all, or to an insignificant degree.

In terms of Blender though, add this to the mounting pile of other features people want, :smiley:

I wonder if it’s possible to do GPUPU systems that bakes data? because even if it’s realtime. if you can upscale that to ~10x larger and have a 10FPS preview would be neat, then bake it once baked blender should be able to run it 24FPS

How do you know this is exclusive to NVIDIA GPUs? Most of the Gameworks stuff just lists “DX11” as requirement, some of it also lists consoles as platforms. NVIDIA can’t just add exclusive features to the DX11 API, so if AMDs drivers are up to it (lol) it should run on there as well. Of course NVIDIA isn’t going to optimize their own libraries for AMD archs, that’s up to the game developers to (likely not) do. I’m sure developers are completely fine with just giving AMD users an inferior experience.

The impact of this technology on gameplay (beyond “Cereal Bowl Simulator 2015”) is going to be negligible. There’s nothing there that couldn’t already be done (or hasn’t been done).

Having any of the Gameworks stuff in Blender isn’t going to happen, because it’s all proprietary software.

They are using PhysX which is their own API

PhysX is a a physics library that runs almost everywhere, at least the CPU part of it. There’s some NVIDIA-exclusive GPU stuff there right now, but when they announced Flex (which is what this thread is about) back in 2013 they mentioned a planned DirectCompute (DirectX 11) backend. Most of the Gameworks stuff already is for DirectX11. I’m not saying Flex absolutely will run on DirectX11, but there’s some strong indicators that it will, at least eventually.

someone get a copy of bullet 3 on a high end GPU, and do the same simulations :smiley:

I am pretty sure it’s all possible, and some day will be possible in the blender game engine,

Except for that one day they scrap the game engine and replace it with blender interactive lol

May I beg for airfoil simulation and flute simulation and finite element simulation and heat transfer (for my engine exhaust parts turning red on warm up)? And how do I simulate inflated tires? A wet sponge? And I read that refraction by density difference in hot air is to come. So many reasons for a unified approach!

Is electro magnetism planned? For magnetic fluids, visualization of electrons in vacuum tubes or transistors? Rail guns. Plasma (gas lamps, gas lasers, hot fusion reactors)

that’s cool but will it blend?

Is this supposed to be earth gravity simulation cause its major fail and everything floats during fall like its magic.

The father in me cringed when the milk spilled all over the table.