Modo Indie + Mari Indie now available!

They are available for steam for 379.99$ as a package. Now there is a 25% sale for who could be interested.

Personally I was quite interested in mari, especially because of the multipatch painting capability, but when I read that the indie version allow to paint on a maximum of 2 patches I lost my enthusiasm… I was thinking they would adopt the same indie policy as side effects or allegorithmic, with full functionalities, but limitations on the incomes obtained using the programs.

The feature limitations are quite heavy, I don’t think that’s the right move… Especially with substance painter at the same price, which only downside with mari is the lack of multipatch, which is practically not present in the indie version of mari

You can find more info here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/289550/discussions/2/624076851317052780/

Just in time for the Holidays!

Modo Steam Edition was converted over to Modo Indie along with the launch of Mari Indie.

Modo @ $299, Monthly Sub: $14.99 ($9.99 with 6 month plan)
Mari @ $149 , Monthly Sub: $12.49 ($8.29 with 6 month plan)
(25% off sale going on with launch on top of that + discounted combo deal, planned upgrade path to full license if desired) (currently can have both for under $300 via deal + combo)
Both are fully featured with very few limitations.

The limitations are not bad at all.

Modo
-Save Files restricted to steam profile
-Up to 4k resolution on bakes & render
-100k poly export limit
-FBX/OBJ export
-Image export PNG, Tiff, JPEG, EXR

Mari
-Save Files restricted to steam profile
-4k resolution
-Export PSD, PNG, TGA, JPEG
-2 Texture patches per object
-No Custom Shaders
-3 Objects per project

Both are for commercial use.

Enjoy!

Modo Steam is instead quite interesting. The OBJ export limit is 100k polys, which is more than enough for all low and most medium poly meshes.

I am very pleased to see several firms moving to fill the emptiness that ADSK cloud enforcement is/will produce.

actually that (maybe) applied to the SE steam version, which is being discontinued.

From the FAQ, among many other limitations: [B][B][B][B][B][B][B]

• OBJ and FBX poly export limit 7k

[/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B]

I was psyched for Mari until I saw the patch and object limits. The object limit might even be worse when dealing with things like vehicles, robots, armor, etc. 2x 4k tiles is a good bit of space, you could probably make that work for most of the models one person would make. But having to do workaround like joining all the pieces…ick.

Also, Allegorithmic has said multiple times that multipatch/UDIM support in Substance Painter will be coming in a later release. Almost tempted to get SP instead, although Mari would look better on a resume.

Or hell, they’re $150 apiece. Why not both?

for the moment yeah, mari looks better on the resume, but painter is just at the beginning… I think is gonna grow up quite fast, especially in the gaming industry.

Good that they are going to add multi patch support in painter… (I already own a copy, along with designer :smiley: )

About modo, I have really small practical knowledge of the program, but with all that limitations, do you really need it when you have blender?

Heya, I created a thread about this on the general forum a bit ago.

Not sure what you mean by the limitations being “quite heavy”.

In fact they are being extremely generous on the limitations. 100k poly limit is just shy of what Maya LT currently has. You can do a lot with 100k… if you need to go higher for whatever reason, model in sub d mode but export the non subd into Blender, slap the subdivision modifier on it then apply and export back into modo. Its not that bad considering you get the package for a fraction of the cost of Modo proper.

Why saving files are restricted to steam profile? (whatever it is).

Its their way of tying it to a single user and discouraging it being used as a replacement for modo proper in a larger studio. Pretty smart. This doesnt include exports of obj or fbx though. Only the modo save files…which have no polycount limitations on them.

But what does “Indie”, please?

Differences between MARI indie and full MARI

• Project file (.mra) linked to Steam account / cannot be shared with other users
  • Allowed export formats: .psd, .png, .tga, .jpg
  • Output formats no longer available .exr, .tif, .tiff, .hdr, .dds, and .ptx
  • The patch count is limited to 2 patches
  • The object count is limited to 3 objects
  • The output texture resolution size has been limited to 4k
  • Python scripting disabled

MODO indie vs MODO SE
Based on your feedback and success of MODO Steam Edition we have added features and made numerous improvements in what is now MODO indie. If you previously purchased MODO Steam Edition from the Steam storefront we want you to know that we appreciate your business and all owners of MODO Steam Edition will receive a FREE upgrade to MODO indie.

To better meet your needs as an independent artist MODO indie now includes:

• MODO indie has no commercial restrictions for individual use. You are free to use your creations for paid commercial products, for your own personal projects, or even as a learning tool
  • We’ve upped the FBX and OBJ poly output limit to 100k
  • Dynamics, animation, and rendering capabilities have been added
  • Affordable subscription option now available

Are you asking what does Indie mean in this context? An indie artist can be a freelancer or someone working from home or independent of a studio. As such its geared towards them with a lower price point and some limitations that only a big studio might require.

Great news! I’ve been waiting for a Modo subscription deal and this seems like a really sweet one.

Thks @SaintHaven,

You answer is very interesting because when you search on internet, you find only “the people of India”!!!
I understand Indie like independant worker!!!
Bye bye

PS: a great offer 264,75€ for the both bundle! Very cheap!

He actually beat you to it by 3 minutes, lol!

I really wish there was a trial I could take for a test run to see how much the limitations affect the workflow. I’m not missing a button or link or anything, right?

there is still no trial, but they are looking into the demand for one.

Technically there is http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/modo/trial/
Its the full thing BUT their feature sets are identical. Just force yourself not to export over 100k polys, don’t use custom scripts or kits, nor bake over 4k texture maps and thats pretty much it.

The alternative is to pay $15 for one month and try it out via a one month sub. The limitation shouldnt be an issue depending on your workflow, and since you know Blender, mixing the two together should erase most of the of limitations. There is no import limitations, just export limitations via scale. No biggie.

I can vouch for Modo being worth it, indie or otherwise.

lol if so…damn you! I checked too, but then spent my sweet ass time putting that thread together. Le sigh!

Btw if you need to talk to some of the foundry guys, they camp out in the steam chat channel for modo indie and pretty much will answer whatever they can, or just have a goofy convo with them.

wow… just checked the FAQs again… they changed the poly limit! I literally copy-pasted from the FAQs yesterday, and it was written 7k…

btw, I repeat myself. I do not see what is the problem in using blender for modeling.

Sorry. I was talking about Modo Indie, not Steam.