How to add 2 seperate materials to a cube using only 1 material slot?

Is this possible? It doesn’t seem to work.

Ok, imagine you have 1 cube.

You create 1 material slot:

Material 1: Red
Material 2: Blue

You select the cube and assign the red material. The cube is now all Red.
Next, you select a cube face and assign the blue material, however, the entire cube now becomes blue.
How can I assign one cube face with a different color only working from 1 material slot?
It looks like I have to create 2 separate materials just to assign a blue material to the face of the cube?

What is the point in having a material slot with numerous materials if you can’t use each individual material to assign to a separate cube face!

did you assign the faces to the color ?

it works

salut

I create a material slot. New material grey, i select the entire cube in edit mode, and assign my grey color.
Then in the same material slot, I create a new material… color red, i select a cube face, and assign red color.

The entire cube becomes red. Sigh*… it doesn’t work for me :frowning:

Sorry, but I don’t get what you want to achieve. What’s a “material slot” supposed to be?!

In this example, what do you refer to as “material” and what as “material slot”?

add a first mat
then add a second mat set color

then in edit mode select some faces and in mat panel assign face to 2 mat or other mat then the overall color

happy bl

Do you see the plus sign on the right? That’s the material slot.
The plus sign next to the [F] is the new material.

I want to be able to create a cube… like you did.
Only creating a new material slot, with 2 new materials.
NOT 2 material slots with 1 different material.

One material per “material slot”.

You can have multiple materials per material slot.

Apparently not - or why do we have this discussion?

Either I don’t understand anything at all. Or you are wrong.

You don’t understand anything at all…:smiley:
In that bottom dropdown list you can find all available material data blocks in the scene. By choosing one, you assign it to the “material slot” selected above.

Each “material slot” can only hold one material.

Just mix two materials together with a B&W image in a single material slot if you’re that intent on not having multiple material datablocks on an object.

BTW, that plus sign at the bottom does the same thing as the plus sign on the right: It creates a new material datablock in your scene. It just doesn’t create a new material datablock on your object. You still need multiple datablocks if you want to assign by face.

But more to the point… why?

Hallo Fetch200. You must be in edit mode wile selecting face in Edge Select ;under Materials the buttons [Assign,Select,Deselect] hoover over with mouse the material you created and select the face with the material & press assign. You can repeat the same process keep in mind you can deselect as well.

Hope this helps.

Amhatu