Blender can't "detect" image files wen browsing folders

Hi, I’m new here.

I was using Blender for a project, but one thing I could never do was open image files in Blender.
I saw a thread that addressed this problem, but the solution given didn’t work for me.

Basically, the problem is that I want to import an image file. So I go to properties, background image, add image.

Now what SHOULD happen, is that the window that just opened would show me small image thumbnails for me to click, and import said image, right? Well not here. As far as Blender’s concerned, my computer doesn’t have a single image in it, as the browsing folders are empty to every file type, except other folders.

The suggested solution given in that other thread I mentioned was that some icons on the top, representing different file types, would probably be turned off.
Sadly, this wasn’t the case, but I tried toggling them off and on again just in case. Still nothing.

I’m pretty much stuck, I don’t know what to do. Any help will be appreciated!

Um…
So it appears, as usual, that I’m the only one with a particular software problem that no one else seems to have. :confused:
I guess I’ll reinstall Blender over and over until it’s miraculously fixed.

Or your post did not include enough information to diagnose the problem. Blender version, OS, computer specs, types of images you’re trying to load, etc.

You might also include a screenshot of your file browser window, just in case there’s a setting that’s turned off/on and someone can then point it out.

Windows 8.0

Intel(R) Core™ i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz
RAM: 6.00 GB (5.89)
64bits

Any image files. Mostly JPG, PNG.

Here’s what it looks like:

Is it just that folder or all folders ?
Have you tried running blender.exe as an administrator

It ignores images from all folders, doesn’t matter which.
I tried running it as administrator, but no dice.

I could really use some help, I can’t get past basic tutorials if I can’t even import images. :frowning:

Downloading the new version…
… and hoping for the best. :mad:

EDIT:

New version installed.
Results: The exact same thing.

I’m out. “Super helpful community” indeed.