Deformed UV map?

Hey, did my first model (a bit crappy, but well - it’s the first one and I already see what I should[n’t] have done while making it) and now trying to texture it. I marked seams all over it to get as little deformations as I could, but several pieces act just silly. Here’s the exported UV map:

First thing: there are 4 wings’ maps there (2 sides of 2 wings). 3 of them are ok. 4’th freaks out no matter what I do to it - adding seams on the wing-fingers only allows to straighten the cut fingers, but the whole arm still bends.
Curly shapes in the upper right corner are supposed to be U-shaped jaws, but for some reasons they decided to curl…
And last - two halves of the main body (2 biggest shapes) that are mirror reflections, are far from looking alike.

Any idea what may be causing the issues?

The problem is your seams you are putting them in the wrong places. Think about seams like places to cut and blender open your 3d mesh (model) in those places where to told blender to cut. Show your model i will give you some hints where to put your seams.

I think I understood the seams idea, but may have put them in wrong places (like I said - my first model).
.blend file is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qlcmdq5nc0gi03e/cel10.blend?dl=0
Let me know if u find the issue.

Ok got some free time i download your model today and after having a quick look on it i have realize that:

I think I understood the seams idea
you are right, yes the way your seams tells that you understand it :slight_smile:

1. You have a really high poly count my computer have hard time ( took about 8 min) to uvwrap it so i decimate (.5 x2) and even so my system is not working fast as it should but not problem it can take it. Side note try to uv unwrap with lower poly count possible.

I m having good look at it and i will back to you soon.

Forget my last post i handled it differently not decimate at all.

The main problem i found in your file is that you have set the uv margin to something like .08 that why you were having those small island all around.
I add quickly 2 more seams to separate the body, the thorax and tail and got this https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B62B6BmVbltVZzBzNUdpUDJVRFk/view?usp=sharing
Right wing will need a better cut because the texture is a bit stretch

That’s one of the things I already noticed I shouldn’t have done - smoothing the mesh before it’s 100% done xD

Yeah, I set it that way to get a good look at everything I got, so it’s not a problem - those small islands are ok. The problem are those deformed - the wing u noticed and jaws. I’m trying to find out why are they acting the way they do.
Thanks for the torso correcting though.

So any1 else has any ideas on what’s wrong? My main concern is the wing.

The wing problem is easy to solve just separate the head and the tail and select the middle_line vertex group separate with v delete the wrong uv part and add mirror modifier and join everything and remove doubles. The jaw part (i have missed it) i will look at it later with i have more free time for now i have play with my son :wink:

facepalm The most obvious solutions are the most difficult to think up…
So only jaws left now. Would be great if u found some time to take a look at them, but I’m in no great hurry, so have fun with your kid :slight_smile:

I tried to have another look on your model (head) today, i realize that is such a slow process when working with all those triangles do you have another model with quads? I would glad to help with quad model. For now your geometry, triangles and a lot of vertices, doesn’t help me to help you, sorry :frowning:

I did this model in quads, but Blender turned them all to triangles when thickening the mesh, so only quad model I have is of quite old version, so I don’t think it would be of any use…
Anyway, here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/upuxju0bdw1nwhz/cel8.blend?dl=0
Wouldn’t just deleting the rest of the body do the trick for u?

Hi Kalia,
i think i have to give up on this i m sorry, if you wondering why? the reason is that you workflow is really, allow me to say, messy and makes everything so slow.
The last blend file you have posted i grab it, cut it but couldn’t unwrap my guess is you so many ngons and triangles you mesh density is usual high, you must have a very powerful computer for not caring about that.
I m posting a blend file of the way i usual go with such model but with your model i couldn’t go further because of the issue i have mentioned before.
So the way i usual do it cut the head, chest, tail and legs. The inside the mouth is separated from the head. From here i will add a uv texture and see how it behave if needed go back refining.
Here is a rough cut of how usual do. http://www.pasteall.org/blend/33380

Good luck and good day.