Modeling a PC Mouse

Hi Sir,

After i model a very nice keyboard i need a mouse to!
But am having problems…

At the screenshot you can see ther is a smooth model there,
Near that model you see i made one with 2 holes with extra edge to make it smooth…
But it effect the whole model,

Ive been bussy with this for over 4 hours trying differend things,
So now i ask you guys what i can do?

You need to control subdivision surface with the control cage you model and define hard edges/corners with perimeter loops and/or edge creasing. Using references always help modeling.

If you plan to make a somewhat complex mouse, could model the basic form and use that as a helper to place the cuts and other detail using retopology techniques (surface snapping, shrinkwrap).

Didn’t use a reference for this and it’s a basic mouse, or a bar of soap.

Thanks for the help, ill see if i can do something with that and ill post the result :slight_smile:

Hmzzzz i fool myself again by thinking i understand it… but no wile i try it it wont work,
I see somehow you have loopy edges in youre model ive never seen that befor…

Tutorials about a pc mouse is so hard to find… most of the search result has nothing to do with modelling a mouse,
Can only find 2 outdate tutorials and 1 speed modelling… speed modelling is just a troll video becouse its useless!

they not use even use wrap technique…

Nothing extraordinary with the retopo. Just using another object to keep the form when modeling another. It’s snapping vertices on another object but in an easy or automatic way so that you can concentrate modeling the cuts.

I recorded a short example of using the shrinkwrap. Quite simple and wouldn’t have to use retopo techniques to get that but not sure where you’re heading with the thing.

At first a lot of thanks for sharing this with me!
Am testing the new cut-technic on a plane first to get used to the controls,
I know to apply the line with enter or cancel with right mouse

But one queston i have so far:

( 1:26 and 1:32 ) You made ur first cut and end up ouside the model…
When you make the second cut you see no drag line of the first one when going into the model again,

At that point I’m using the knife tool (hotkey K) to make multiple cuts. Red/purple lines are preview of the cuts I’m going to eventually accept or cancel. I made one cut, then pressed E to create a new one while also being able to use the previous cut as a snapping point. Pressing enter makes the cuts real, or ESC/right mouse to cancel.

I accepted the cuts and then put another one. It shows the preview of the cut but I only added one and quite quickly so it doesn’t show much new ones.

I had a bit of confusion of how I want to straighten the cuts. I was thinking of how to align them and what kind of selection I need while doing that step so I ended up going back and forth until I made up my mind and used active element pivot and scaled along an axis. I could’ve made the cuts in top view and constrain the knife tool to an axis, so I wouldn’t have needed to scale them afterwards.

Didn’t really put much effort in showing how and what tools I use. Those are secondary to the technique itself.

Oke i dont know what you did ther… when you move the edge you somehow select the other one and get it al strait?

Edge loop above the selected in the screenshot is straight. Could align the selected to that by doing an edge slide in even mode (GG to edge slide, E for even and F to flip the edge selection). Could also scale to 0 along Y, which would misalign the vertices but since shrinkwrap keeps them on the surface of the object underneath, no need to worry about that.

Hmzz i feel so dumb man,

Method 1 : G+G, E and F (but its not strait as in the video)

Method 2 : S+Y and than 0…

First image, not sure what is going on there. It might result to uneven edge because shrinkwrap modifier but not sure. It doesn’t need to be exact, face size in the final is more important than perfectly straight edges.

Second image. It’s a different operation than what you showed in the previous post. In this one you should be scaling along X but in previous the axis is Y.
Also the pivot point and transform orientation (both found on the header) can affect how it scales. Not sure what you’re using, you’ve cropped the images.

Its a shame not all the hotkeys get shown by blender!
After you press ( i ) you also press something so the square at the mirror line disappear.

Modal tools show the options on the 3d view header. That one is border/boundary option, B key.

Oké i know some edge dont have to be strait but this one have to be,
But i dont know the trick to get it done… can you please help me with this?

SZ0

Message is too short.

It was for JA12… he would of understand me,
But for you oke ill expleen on another way,

I need to lower the Selected edge… but when i do that it crash with the edge below it,
its becuase the edge is not strait… (see the side view)

GG and press E, it slides edges even.

Sorry to intrude on this thread :slight_smile:
@JA12, you are a master of modeling. I learn a lot in each of your explanations on all the threads where you participate. Have you considered writing a book about modeling techniques and topology?

thats the problem its not working… :frowning:
See at 1 and 2 + arrows