Lazybug (it's a pun!)

Latest:

Allright, time for a new project :slight_smile:

I got this idea at a graphic convention (the bad artsy fartsy kind, blame my girlfriend). They had a sketch contest. I didn’t enter but in hindsight I could totally have won it :stuck_out_tongue: Anyway, one of the themes was “ladybugs and aphids”. This idea is what popped into my head:

Ladybugs love munching on aphids. And aphids secrete this delicious juicy stuff (or so I’ve heard, haven’t tried it myself. yet…). So we get a male ladybug, laying back in his couch, sucking dry aphids like a stereotypical Homer Simpson style lazy, greasy bastard. Hence, LaZybug, get it?

Get it??

Fine. Right now I’m sketching and blocking it out.
Please let me know what you think about the overall composition, I’d like to get it right before I start the serious work :slight_smile: .

Quick notes:

• the cylinders will be aphids
  • the 6 rings in the corner is the plastic bit that keeps a sixpack of beercans together, in which 2 aphids are still trapped.
  • the object on the left will be a tv, emitting a glow over the lazybug.

I don’t yet know exactly what i’ll do with the room, make it completely natural, a decent interior or a mix of both.

Anywho, here are the sketch and blockouts:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]353390[/ATTACH]

Block version 1:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]353391[/ATTACH]

Modeling out the lazybug. Showing a flat shaded version now so there will be a more dramatic improvement later on ^^

(Still missing a few parts)

Great idea ^^

You have a follower ,)

Cool :slight_smile:

An update on the lazybug, shown here with subsurf modifiers applied for presentation purposes (and to have a prettier thumbnail picture :wink: ). I think most of the modeling on the bug is done, moving on to the couch.

And the (crappyly (?) displayed wireframe:

It looks cool!

Looking forward for updates.

Good so far. Youll need some good textures and lighting!

Busy days, but here’s a small update:

Modelled the couch, but I think it could use some extra buttons. Yeah, ima add me some buttons.

Also started work on the aphids / beer cans. Not entirely happy about them yet, I think they could look a lot cuter. Maybe their eyes should be more to the front, I’m gonna give it a try. (it’s not like I have to keep things realistic here anyway.)

Looks good so far… I’m looking forward to seeing this when you have started to add materials :slight_smile:

A cigar would fit perfectly in that lazy bugs mouth.

Hmm, i was already gonna make him suck one of the aphids, but now I’m seriously considering putting a cigar in one of his free paws :smiley:

He does kinda look like he’s just started exhaling smoke. lol, a cigar in paw and smoke out the mouth would look fantastic :slight_smile:

I hope this isn’t getting too… erotic… :stuck_out_tongue:

Also added a cigar to his rightmost (for us) paw. If the sucking is too awkward I migh just indeed have himblow smoke… What do you think, is it getting weird?

hey Eyestabba

love the idea, i see the bug in a derelict room, old red leather chair with broken leg and tears and holes all over.skew broken picture and messy floor…i am sure you get the idea.

love the cigar, but it must be a big fat one, small not doing it for me.

shaun

looking good now man. but i agree with speed777777, The cigar should be a big fat one :wink:

Made the cigar bigger :stuck_out_tongue: I’m probably not going to make it even bigger because it’s just a detail. Also modelled the tv and small table. The background will need some filling, maybe a lamp or something, or a picture of the misses. Hmm… the misses… Ow yes, that should be fun :smiley:

I also modelled an ashtray but I forgot to add it here. Nooo, not the ashtraaay!!

Edit: I’ve redeemed myself!

Started texturing the aphids. Still vey much a WiP.

awesome idea!!

Nice :slight_smile: Looking good so far.

And also that cigar looks way better now :smiley:

Progress on the aphid. Been experimenting with his materials. I might try to make him more transluscent later on, going to work on some other elements now.

Working…

:smiley: cool idea.
you should slightly bend her habdomen so that she looks even lazier and less static.