Convert animated particles to animated meshes for use in Blender Game engine

For a simple interactive installation of a “breathing landscape” I’ve attached some modified cones to an animated plane. The hill slowly grows and shrinks. The ‘trees’ move attached to the surface. In a later stadium we’ll use an Arduino to control the camera moving along a circular path around the scene (I’ll tackle that one later).

So now we want to incorporate this movement of the breathing into the BGE.

• As I understand BGE cannot handle regular particles;
  • While I can convert the generated particles (trees) to meshes, they loose their animation.

here’s the blend file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehh4f7xgpqhc3kx/breathingtreeinascape_particleshair.blend?dl=0

Any help in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

I found another solution for moving the particles in the Game engine. It was a manual way, and the particles animation was lost.

• I converted the particles to regular meshes, helas losing their animation.
  • I then merged the hill and all of the ‘trees’.
  • Next made sure I had my ‘trees’ and hill as separate vertex groups, to be able to select them afterwards.
  • For the Shape keys I then used the Proportional editing (set to smooth), selecting the top of the hill and the trees I wanted to be affected.

Next up I, we’re confronted with the same issue once again: how to convert a boids animation to a regular animation that can be played back in the Game engine.

We want to animate a flock of birds flying around - not reacting with anything in particular, just by means of an animated background.

I’m guessing I’d better go look out for other solutions, I found some old threads and links here and there describing on using Python to script it. What a shame an existing animation cannot be recorded, or baked to a set of key frames. Or am I missing something obvious?

I’m still hoping for some response here, or I might open a new thread if this one stays unanswered?

link to current file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8hn98pi39rjyeg3/breathingscape.blend?dl=0