Transparency shader node group that doesn't shade backside of mesh

I have this transparent shader node group that doesn’t render the backside of the object, but still lets you see through it. Though I really like it, the amount of dark/light shading varies with the camera distance as you can see in the attached image. If someone knows a way to do this that won’t change based on the camera distance, let me know. Screenshot of node group attached.

1 Like

If you try my set up above and you’re getting weird black artifacts, you have to bump up the Max transparency bounces in the render settings until they go away.

Here’s an interesting mod of this node group that uses a wave texture. Looks like pen and ink.

Hi MickeyG I followed the link here from Adventures in Blender. Your pen and ink shader looks really cool and really useful. Is this the right thread for that?

Ah, I see I had the right place after all. I think I posted my question before your upload got approved to post. I’m looking forward to trying this out. Cheers.

Yeah, this is it. The pen & ink node set up is right above your post. Can you see the images?

skull as an interesting effect
how does it works ?
do you have like a 3D skull and add the nodes set up to get this effect ?

happy bl

Yes, and yes. You should also have a light source in the front and back of the model.

tried it with Suzanne monkey
and not really working at all !

should it be working or need something else ?

happy bl

I got the ink to work on monkey !

now can you give an idea what the upper part going to the FAC of mix shader does ?

thanks
happy bl

It’s to preserve the transparency of the object so that the form is described by just the lines. This isn’t required, and in fact you may want a version in which the object is opaque. This node set up is offered for people to play around with. For example, changing the wave texture scale to make more or less lines, and the B&W ramp its plugged into to change the line width. Or come up with some other modification as you see fit.

That’s a really cool effect, but the dependence on camera distance from the object makes it really impractical to use.

Just a note that the pen & ink effect doesn’t require transparency, which means you can get rid of the light falloff node, and therefore the problem with camera distance. Here’s a couple of examples combined with freestyle outlines.