2D Cut out character modeling?

My My it’s been a while since i’ve done much with Blender. Ever since i got a job i havn’t been able to do much…

But! i saw a video today that has left me feeling rather inspired. Look at this thing here…

Now this video itself is a tutorial on setting up the phonemes of this character’s speech. I feel though as if i have a pretty decent grasp on shapekey drivers and what not, so i’m not concerned with yet. But i was wondering if anyone here has tried this style of animation in blender before, and how the actual character is modeled. Is it just a modeled plane with a texture? or is it created with curves somehow you think? i really like the outlines and how the rig can curve and bend like you would see in a cartoon and i wouldnt mind giving this sort of style a try with a little doodle like human character.

Anyone have any tips on building a character like this? :slight_smile:

So i may have answered my own question by posting that there^ Because i could see th ethumbnail of the video much larger than i would on youtube. and it just so happens the thumbnail captured a frame where he was in edit mode. It appears each piece of the character is a flat plane with a texture applied to it.

Which is good news that it seems easy, but bad news because depending on the complexity of the shape, the plane may take some time to get it to fit the image just right :confused:

regardless, i went into photoshop and i made a piece of a character on each layer to create this guy.

The layers are, and in this order, Hair, Head, face, Left arm, Hoodie, Right arm, Back hood (for the hoodie), legs, shoes.

I dont think the legs and feet will be seen much and i plan on using that taurus like driver for the Face and hand positions.

If all goes well, i suppose this has all been answered :stuck_out_tongue: