how to smooth mesh (must be mesh) without subsurf?

Hello all ,
I’m stuck with a problem at the moment :frowning:

I need to smooth the mesh of my model (it must be the mesh because the model is for 3D printing…)
and when i use the subsurf feature what seems to smooth it but does take a hell of allot out of my pc and some times crashes blender…

what i really need is to have it as smooth as when you click on shading smooth but when exporting to .stl file that ofcause gets removed…

if you look at the 3 pictures ive made you will see that
1 . is the blockyness i want to get red off …
2 . is with shading smooth what i want it to look like when exported…
3. is subsurf set to 3 what takes loads out of my rig (what is a fairly fast rig)

so basicly i need the mesh to be smooth ready for exporting… and i cant use subsurf all over the model…

anyone able to help?

here are the prictures :

So let me know if you can help !!!

You’re basically saying “how can I smooth my model without smoothing it?”. Well… you can’t. In general the way to do this is to highly subdivide your mesh and then decimate (using something like decimation master in ZBrush) before exporting to .stl. In any case, if you want that smoothness, there HAS to be a step in the middle where your mesh actually has that smoothness.

so i need to subdivide everything? how can i do that without crashing?

You might not actually need so many subdivisions, depending on the print scale and the printer. The imperfections model has might be lost in the print itself. Some topology optimizations might help. Could maybe try less subdivided model and use dynamic topology sculpting to smooth out the surface.

If not, maybe check meshlab to reduce the amount of geometry for different parts.

ah meshlab might come in usefull because i know i do have to many poly’s…