IMAX now has a competitor; Implications for VFX-heavy movies.

Dolby has announced that they will start opening their own massive-screen theaters with their own format and a secret technology that no one knows about.

If anything, this could speed up the race to bring an ever greater amount of immersion in the world of movies (and hopefully lead to such futuristic technologies currently only in the research phase as holographic screens providing 3D with no glasses).

We currently have an IMAX theater considered one of the best in the US with a screen even larger than the usual size, I could only imagine if they came out with new technology to make it even better, considering it already had an upgrade since it opened.

So will Dolby succeed or will this be just a footnote in movies?

I wish they’d build more OmniMax screens like we have here at the St. Louis Science Center. Instead of being just a huge flat screen, the screen is a dome that surrounds you. If you look straight up, you don’t see the ceiling of the theater, you see movie screen. If you look to the sides, you don’t see the walls, you see screen. You feel completely immersed. Unfortunately they only show documentary-style movies. I wish they’d release some feature-length movies in this format. Imagine the opening scene of the original Star Wars, and as you look up you see the underside of the star destroyer as it passes over you. Forget 3D. Give me more OmniMax.

This pic gives you an idea of what it’s like.
http://www.slsc.org/sites/default/files/default_omnimax.jpg

Steve S

Agreed. I didn’t know there was a difference between imax and omnimax (actually I didn’t know it was called omniax, all was imax to me). Had been to an omnimax theater a few times, thinking it is an imax. Then I went to an imax theater expecting omnimax, boy what a disappointment. But, indeed, in atleast the omnimax thatre close to me it is all about documentaries, science and planetarium stuff, but still, very impressive. Could see though that maybe a full feature film for a couple of hours could be a bit too much, it really hammers your senses…

I thought RealD 3D was the most popular technology for stereoscopic projection…

Indeed. The OmniMax theatre here in Copenhagen, Denmark is remarkable! I’ve always wanted there to be more Omnimax content. The main issue is that you need to produce them with special, very expensive, cameras and lenses, so you can’t just convert a regular film to Omnimax. You won’t get the correct perspective. You need to create content specifically for it - and there aren’t that many of these theatres in total.

It’s the old chicken and egg issue.

So true! I went to see the star trek reboot in IMAX and brought 5 friends along. After spending nearly $80 on tickets and finding a screen that was maybe 20% larger than a standard screen, I was a little disappointed. Never been back to an Imax theatre since. Though I do have a hankering to check out our local museum with an omnimax theatre in it…

Yeah, I had always thought they were the same thing. Then I went to an Imax theater at a museum in Kansas City and when I saw the flat screen I thought I had walked into the wrong theater by mistake.

Steve S

With Oculus Rift (or Gear VR) no one needs Omnimax :wink:

With Magic leap no one needs Oculus Rift :wink:

OR DK2 can be purchased since a while back, Gear VR began selling yesterday, Crescent Bay OR prototype showed VR without getting sick, but this Magic Leap is a theory, it could be just one of those things where devs-to-be get some cash and never deliver.

A lot of blabla, pretentious website but nothing tangible. Talk is cheap.

With an imagination, no one needs a computer!

Then why are you here?

I was just commenting on the scrolling pages of nothing that is the magic leap. Though I do have opinions about the real world feasibility of the oculus rift, at least there is a product.

yes it is quite hard to even understand what sis this magic leap… had a quick glance at the page and couldn’t find a clue… what is that supposed to be?

When they first opened the Omnimax in the town I lived in at the time (Lubbock, TX), there was a movie that dealt with SFX/VFX, and it had that exact scene: the star destroyer came rumbling in from behind you, and took forever to pass over and in front. It was amazing. :cool: