How long until my post is accepted? I have waited hours already.

Blender is frustrating enough to learn. But waiting hours for my post to finally appear and then who knows how long for an answer?

Come on guys, some of us haven’t got all the time in the world. I’m barely a beginner and I’m already considering giving it a miss which would really be a shame since I have already invested hours in watching tutorials and trying to get my head around it.

Please read the forum FAQ. Now that you have more than 10 approved posts, your new posts should appear immediately.

But please be patient with our moderation team. We can’t be here at all times of the day.

Gotta agree it’s a pain to wait around for the posts to get approved. I got another one waiting that I already found a solution to hours ago :stuck_out_tongue: It’s cool that you got a policy on this stuff and for all I know the site gets swamped with spambots if you don’t do it but still…, maybe loosen it up just a little?

Though there are a lot of great tutorials out there it’s inevitable that beginners will come upon problems they can’t find good answers for, either because they don’t know where to look or what terminology to look for (being beginners), or because their problem is specific. It’s no secret that Blender isn’t the easiest software in the world to get into. No 3D software is :stuck_out_tongue: But they’ll hit a brick wall coming around here to ask for help because you need to get ten posts past the moderator eye before you can post freely. That may not seem like much but when there’s a six-hour wait on average for each post approval then turning to these forums for help just when beginners need help the most becomes useless. That can’t be the point can it?

There’s a trade-off, sure, but there’s not really a better solution. Even with this one, some spam squeezes its way through (though far less than you’d see otherwise). There was talk in the past about reducing the number from 10 to something else, but really… if there’s any wait at all from moderation, we’re still faced with the same basic trade-off. The only really helpful advice is to get those posts in. Go to the Artwork forums and give feedback on peoples’ work or report pieces as recommendations for the Gallery forum. Ask (or even provide answers to) questions in the support forums. After you get your posts in, you never have to wait again.

CAPTCHA is the best solution. Doesn’t require manpower and stops bots.
Then, secondly, the next best solution is to have a “flag as spam” option for posts. If something gets flagged enough, it becomes invisible, gets sent to mods who then delete it unless it is not spam, and it is then restored.

Captcha is next to useless against modern bots and we already have a post reporting feature.

CAPTCHA with images works quite well.

Yeah but you still use moderators to determine what is and isn’t spam. Letting users have a little bit of control might not be such a bad thing.

XDA-Developers is looser than this, and they are the 393rd most viewed site in the world in comparison to blenderartists’ 23719th. (as of today)

Yeah I do find the waiting to be approved by a mod or an admin anoying, but after having to deal with shock spam on a forum I’m admin of I could completely understand this in us. It is just anoying to new members on this forum who want to be constructive members of a community

I wouldn’t suggest making comparisons with other forums. We have different forum rules, different types of members, and consequently a different moderation structure. Similarities between forum communities ends at the software used to run them. Yes, I’m sure that there are other forum communities that are more popular (which, by the way, is only one metric that spambots use for targeting) that have different moderation guidelines. However, they’re different places. What works one place will not necessarily work here (and vice versa).

Yes, the 10-post thing can be annoying (even for moderators). But as I mentioned, it’s the solution that’s worked best for our circumstances thusfar.

You know, Julia is making money from her home computer after being unemployed for three months. Lots of money. Selling rock crushers from indonesia or something, I guess. Or is it Julia’s cousin?

Look, you guys complaining about the 10 post rule don’t remember the bad old days. It really isn’t hard to look at ten works in progress and make some small comment to help someone else improve. Even if you know nothing about art, or Blender, you can still look at something and tell someone it works or doesn’t work for you. Et voila, 10 posts.

Use the search function. It’s completely free.

Agree with above posters. The waiting is terrible. Really make me want to not participate with this community.

Yeh, waiting all of 30 mins is a real terrible bugger !

Unfortunately for you, the short delay you may have to endure is much much less important than having the forum being deluged in spam.

Who the hell is Julia and would she maybe be interested in the old experience. Or, her cousin. The ten post are a pain in the ass exacerbated many times by the moderators comments. But, if it works what the hell. Just put up with it for awhile and bit your tongue.

I posted my question around 14 hours ago and it hasn’t been accepted yet. But the real problem is not knowing whether it’s still awaiting moderation or whether it’s just been discarded. Are there any plans to add a ‘Comments awaiting moderation’ section in our profiles? At least it would reduce the number of duplicate posts by people in this position.

After reading the FAQ I regesterd less than 24 hours ago, so I know it may take a while and the 24 hour wait may be slightly longer. I know this is usualy how forums work the past few years due to spam. The FAQ also states that the moderators are selected based on time zones and new posts won’t be visible for a while.

I dont believe that this means you cannot comment on a post though. We just cant see it until we are approved.

This forum seems to be very active and there are probly alot of new requests for membership so I will wait patiently for moderators to get to me. And I will still be able to post while I wait :slight_smile:

Thanks goes out to the moderators for keeping this site clean for everyone, free of spam, and content rich.