Tools for sculpting tileable meshes ?

Does Blender have any tools in its arsenal to assist with sculpting/modeling tileable meshes (from which tileable textures can be baked) ?

Something like this:

For sculpting , unfortunately no. You can instance sculpt a little bit but thats about it. However you can do the same workflow on your attached image.

The deformation panel > offset just adds a delta transform to the object from its original position nothing more.

So if you make your scene camera orthographic and set it so it looks towards your plane object, all you have to do is add a array modifier with a size of 2 and a relative offset with the width of your plane object.

You can then bake selected object to the plane or render (if you set the camera size and position correctly).

Hope this helps.

What does “instancing sculpt” mean?

Unfortunately I am not too familiar with array tricks as I only model / animate in Blender. Are those two (deformation>offet and array) related?

Thanks!

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Modeling”

Instance means the object inherits its parent attributes, like mesh information and material etc… Hence its an instance of its current state.

It is different from a copied object, because every time you copy you create a unique duplicate of the object.

Here I have prepared a tile map template you can examine and use as you like. you can either render the camera or add a new texture to plane and bake the other objects. It should work similarly.

I have also prepared a short video to show what is an instance and a copy. Also tried to explain delta transform.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

TileMapTemplate > https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8havwmub34td1n/tileMap_template.blend?dl=0

Instance explained > https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4vn3jdtv9mi8lq/Copy_Instance_DeltaT.mp4?dl=0

Thanks! I appreciate it. I see now how the array setup works. I still don’t quite get the Delta transform :confused: (but I understand the instance)

No problem. Think of delta transform as an temporary extra transform data on top of existing one. I bet the math is pretty complicated there . Object (centered) >>> Object moved + 5 (not applied) >>> delta transform + 5 = will result with in object moving 10 units. But if you apply the position the the object , you will still see object is at +5 instead of 0 (the delta transform) . :smiley: