portrait of magnus carlsen

portrait of magnus carlsen, world champion in chess 2014 (and 2013 as well), completely done in blender, no other program was used. i hope you like it :slight_smile:

nice one doris,you always come up with challenging and beautiful work… 5 stars…

-Nita

Very nice Doris! I like a lot the cloth, and the pieces of chess looks pretty well too :)!
my 5 starst too.

-José

thank you nita, yes i enjoy challenging me :slight_smile:
thank you jose, the chess pieces were really fun, i thought of them only when i was far in the project. now am happy. :slight_smile:

Doris, a question:
this model is completely sculpet in blender?
is pretty cool the wrinkles on Jacket, I want see a wire frame :).

nice one, doris. Are you a chess player?

thank you modron. yes i play chess, but very humbly only :wink:
thanks again jose… yes, every thing was created in blender, here is a wireframe and some steps to show how i went about it… (i did not crank up all the multires levels, otherwise the wires would be just black)

It’s very pleasing to see another masterpiece from you! You’re sculptes and scenes are always so perfect, that I never find anything that’s wrong with the model! :slight_smile:

Awesome Work…Nice

Awesome job, thank you doris.

bonrw1, thank you for your kind words… oh, i myself do see problems, but hey, there is always room for improvement…
morteza, thank you!
3dlsider, thank you, too
:slight_smile:

​Excellent! Very well composed and sculpted :slight_smile:

thank you matt :slight_smile: yes the sculpting part was the biggest fun for me, however i also enjoyed the pure modeling part of the chess pieces…

Great job, Doris!

I particularily liked the chess pieces.

You have inspired me to use the same reference photo and try to sculpt Magnus, who is in fact a splendid player!

hi nathanswann, your portrait is great! you captured his age much better than i… how about retopo and pushing it further? :slight_smile: i would love to see your sculpt finished…

Thank you, Doris! An appreciation form such an esteemed artist means a lot to me.

I wish I knew what a retopo is and how it can help in my sculpting. Can you please explain?

I hate details (well, I hate working on details but I love to see them in somebody’s else work), but I certainly agree with you: this sculpt needs details, it’s too vague and impressionistic.

retopo means building over your sculpt a clean mesh, then add a multires modifier with a few levels, and shrinkwrap your sculpt onto this clean mesh. then, when you sclpt further, the clean topology of the new mesh helps you to get lines like the eyelids etc more cleanly sculpted… in my overview image you see the third step, this is the retopo step… to start it, add a plane, go into edit mode, activate the magnet tool with faces selected. then scale the plane, to get the first polygon for your new mesh. you will see it snaps to the sculpted surface. now extrude more polygons to build up the mesh… try to get edge loops around the eyes, mouth, ears, good edge flow will enhance your sculpt… i hope this short description is helpful…

edit…oh, i not meant adding details, i am no big friend of lots of details, but i meant cleaning up edges, planes etc, just strengthning the good forms you already have…

No, Doris, I am going to stick to an ortho view for two reasons:

• I can superimpose a reference image
  • I can see how the sculpt pops out for 3D printing

And I don’t care about the rendering; my job is all about 3D printing and a real physical model.
But I see your point and I do appreciate it.
I think I know what you mean, and this was an awesome advice.
Eventually you mean that the sculpt must be simpler (in terms of facial features) and more crispy. I totally agree. It is hard to achieve as you know.
At the same time, I hate inserting spheres as eyes as everybody teaches (you as well). Look at Rodin’s work, his eye shells are not perfect at all! I am not Rodin, but I am sure he didn’t use balls to mimic eyes, he just sculpted portion of a sphere, sometimes very imperfect sphere.
It’s all about classical and impressionistic type of sculpting, this discussion can last forever if we ever started it:)

yes, when going for a sculpted look i do not insert spheres either, it always depends on what you want achieve, so many possibilities to go for in a sculpt… yes, such discussion is pleasurable, and can last for ever, i would not mind :slight_smile: … but the best is, let our sculpts speak :slight_smile:

I totally agree with you, Doris!