use compositer result as texture..............

without the added overhead of having to do a file output…

just bought some fire assets to use in vfx shots, but some are not rendered with alpha channels …is there a way to use the keyed assets as textures directly from the compositor

anybody?..all I’m asking is if there is a way to use my newly alpha masked .mov clip as texture on quad or something without having the export it first, want add these as drop in assets…

Hey!
Should be possible with the MapUV Node:

thanks will try it

Yeah with that suggestion you would need to make sure that the card geometry, that the fire is to be applied to, should be on another layer. So that the background is fully rendered.

noted thanks much

But lack of aliased z depth means you may need to use ID passes for foreground occlusions.

so this meaning …what…that I’m better off exporting an alpha masked…just asking

If you place the card on another layer you don’t get the free occlusion so you must render a mask from the foreground. Z depth can be troublesome as it isn’t antialiased and doesn’t respect transparency (not sure about cycles tho). Mist is a good candidate for occlusion masking too.

ok I understand thanks…um…a question can I render masks themselves independently to their own clips and add that as new texture to control transparency…if so, if there an example around that I can look at

If using geometry to mask then you have to create an image from that forward portion of the scene. You do that by assigning a pass type to that/those objects. Then using the pass as a subtraction of the alpha around the card on the other layer.

So you can render a pass independently of the rest of the scene if you like by taking it from the compositor scene input node. Just route that to an image output or EXR export as a layer.

thanks again…will look into all that has been said