Link to blender executable does not work

On the current Gooseberry build, if i make link to blender executable, it crashes:

user@PC ~/Desktop $ ./GB_9768480 
Color management: using fallback mode for management

BLF_lang_init: 'locale' data path for translations not found, continuing
Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding
ImportError: No module named 'encodings'
Aborted (core dumped)
user@HME-13 ~/Desktop $ 

Same link being in the folder with executable works:

user@PC ~/BLENDER/gooseberry-blender-2.72-9768480-linux-glibc211-x86_64 $ ./GB_9768480 

Read new prefs: /home/user/BLENDER/gooseberry-blender-2.72-9768480-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.72/config/userpref.blend
found bundled python: /home/user/BLENDER/gooseberry-blender-2.72-9768480-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.72/python

Previous build 9880574 i had did run fine.

Seems like something to do with how bundled python works.
Appreciate any ideas what had happened.

Hi eppo,

This bug tracker link my be of interest to you:

https://developer.blender.org/T42729

Oh, thanks, AIBlender, for a news!

My jaw literally dropped while reading - i’m creating Desktop links to Blender versions since… Honestly, i think i had them for 2.49 but i cant be sure now.
Right now i can click on some 3 different links on my Desktop which will bring up appropriate build with their individual settings, both on win and Linux pcs.

Did not know it never works, kind of feel funny…

eppo most recent versions of Blender now have the symlink issues fixed (as of rev 8fe336c) Campbell fixed, it something about binreloc (all above my head) but symlinks now work again.

That’s good news, thank you for coming back!
I was afraid i’ll have to do some sh-ing instead of using plain links from now on…

Nothing yet has changed despite changes from Dec 7 mentioned here

user@PC ~/Desktop $ ./B2.72-d6beaad 
Color management: using fallback mode for management
connect failed: No such file or directory
BLF_lang_init: 'locale' data path for translations not found, continuing
Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding
ImportError: No module named 'encodings'
Aborted (core dumped)

Last working build:

user@PC ~/Desktop $ ./GB3
Read new prefs: /home/user/BLENDER/gooseberry-blender-2.72-9880574-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.72/config/userpref.blend
found bundled python: /home/user/BLENDER/gooseberry-blender-2.72-9880574-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.72/python

Edit:
In addition to this: if OSL scripts are located in separate directory and referred in Script node as External Blender fails to find script file:

user@PC ~/BLENDER/B2.72-d6beaad $ ./blender
found bundled python: /home/user/BLENDER/B2.72-d6beaad/2.72/python
read blend: /home/user/BLEND/OSL/osl__ext_test.blend
error: Input file "/home/user/BLEND/OSL/../../BLENDER/scripts/OSL/GAO2.1.osl" not found
Error: OSL script compilation failed, see console for errors

This however has not worked for any previous builds while path itself correctly shows location of the script from the OS (and user’s) point of view.
Could be that the reason is “BLEND” being symlink to another directory in this case again.

I am on Fedora 20 Linux building Blender from source. I use Install_deps.sh to generate the dependencies. The fix Campbell did worked for me (i can now run with symlinks). Did you try and completely fresh build (ie delete old cache files/build files etc when rebuilding Blender?)

If that doesn’t work may want to let campbell know on the bug tracker incase you have found another bug that isn’t affecting me.

As for weather is the linked blend location I don’t know.

I build rarely, (over)aged Mint 64 bit and not the fastest CPU here. This time i downloaded from builder in hope that fixes are already incorporated. If the patch is there it did not help however.
I unpack builds in respective separate directories under /home/user/BLENDER and create /2.7x/config for each so that prefs do not cross in between.

As a side note- some python scripts clearly are not meant to deal with such a long path lines which are created by default after unpacking - yafa exporter was filing until i shortened directory name e.g. “gooseberry-blender-2.72-9768480-linux-glibc211-x86_64” to “GB_9768480”.

Probably have to renew my bugsite account…

Thanks for looking into!