Blender and Windows 8.1

After switching to Win 8.1 cant get Blender (either 2.72b nor Daily Build nor Graphicall)
working: crashes after 20-30 sec. VBO issue does not influence.

Anybody noticed similar thing?

Console output below:

File “E:\Blender_Foundation\Blender\2.72\scripts\modules\bpy\utils.py”, line 6
00, in register_module
register_class(cls)
AttributeError: expected Panel, VIEW3D_PT_SceneVisualization class to have an “b
l_space_type” attribute
bpy.utils.register_module(): failed to registering class <class ‘surface-constra
int-tools-master.addons.retop_display_tools.VIEW3D_PT_ModifierTools’>
Traceback (most recent call last):
00, in register_module
register_class(cls)
AttributeError: expected Panel, VIEW3D_PT_ModifierTools class to have an “bl_spa
ce_type” attribute
bpy.utils.register_module(): failed to registering class <class ‘surface-constra
int-tools-master.addons.retop_edit_operator.VertDelete’>
00, in register_module
register_class(cls)
AttributeError: expected Operator, VertDelete class to have an “bl_label” attrib
ute
int-tools-master.addons.retop_nikitron.NikitronPanel’>
00, in register_module
register_class(cls)
AttributeError: expected Panel, NikitronPanel class to have an “bl_space_type” a
ttribute
search for unknown operator ‘VIEW3D_OT_modal_pc_click_dof’, ‘VIEW3D_OT_modal_pc_
click_dof’
search for unknown operator ‘VIEW3D_OT_modal_pc_click_dof’, ‘VIEW3D_OT_modal_pc_
click_dof’
read blend: C:\Temp\quit.blend
click_dof’
[Mitsuba 2014-Nov-30 22:34:00] WARNING: Binary mitsuba module not available! Vis
it http://www.mitsuba-renderer.org/ to obtain one for your system.
[Mitsuba 2014-Nov-30 22:34:00] (ImportError was: No module named ‘mitsuba’)
click_dof’
click_dof’
click_dof’
click_dof’
click_dof’
click_dof’
click_dof’
click_dof’
click_dof’
click_dof’
search for unknown operator ‘VIEW3D_OT_modal_pc_click_dof’, 'VIEW3D_OT_modal_pc_

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”

Some of the errors in there relate to add-ons that aren’t enabled by default. You may want to try running Blender with factory default settings and see how that treats you.

Removed userfpref and startup-the same crash shortly after startup ((
VBO does not change it.

What do you mean when you say you removed user prefs? Specifically, what did you do?

My recommendation would be that you start Blender from the command line with the following:

blender --factory-startup

I removed 2 files: userpref.blend and startup.blend from …\Blender\2.72\config

AND tried also blender --factory-startup, crashes after ca. 20 sec.
Looks like entering User prefs triggers the problem.

Guys, nobody has such phenomena ?!

This happens when you go to User Preferences? What is your video card. This smells suspiciously like an Intel video driver issue that used to happen a lot.

Try changing the 3D View to User Preferences rather than using the File menu.

Still investigating…;
My HW: Phenom X4, 16GB, gtx 760/double display/ w/newest driver. And Win 8.1 Pro of course.

There happens also nvidia driver reports a crash (after having crashed Blender )) so 1st suspect to me so far is newest driver: 344.75

Faulting application name: blender-app.exe, version: 2.7.2.0, time stamp: 0x547a7e22
Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll, version: 9.0.30729.8387, time stamp: 0x51ea1bbd
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000001e2e0
Faulting process id: 0x1b08
Faulting application start time: 0x01d00d693d242994
Faulting application path: E:\Blender_Foundation\Blender\blender-app.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.8387_none_08e793bfa83a89b5\MSVCR90.dll
Report Id: 80014c08-795c-11e4-825b-bcaec5654f06
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Error occurs just after exiting User preferences.

ANY HELP/NOR A SUGGESTION ??..(((( (bot 32 and 64 blender crahses after exiting User preferences)

Hi, there was some problems with Win 8/8.1 and Blender 2.72, thats why we have blender.exe and blender-app.exe.
I am not a Windows user so cant really help here.
May you can get help on IRC #blendercoders irc.freenode.net with your error message.
Best time is afternoon CET, then most developer are online.
It is may a OpenGL error, you could try to copy this file in to your blender directory:

ftp://ftp.blender.org/sergey/softwaregl/win64/

It called 32.dll but is for 64 Bit Windows.

Cheers, mib

Thanks, m2b. I put it here: https://developer.blender.org/T42871?workflow=create

W/above opengl32.dll my Blender is HARDLY responsive -as if I was using an outdated graphics.

Hi, can you reproduce error with included opengl32.dll?
It is a software emulation of a OpenGL driver and slow as hell. :slight_smile:
If Blender work fine with the opengl32.dll it is a driver issue.
You can may solve it with remove the driver and install an older one.
There was a tool “Driver Sweeper” that help to remove old driver leftovers what sometimes not work if you install a new driver over an old one.

Cheers, mib

NOPE-same problem again.
Note: I have installed latest msvc runtime libraries to have up-to-date msvcr’s but id did not help.

Was wondering if a solution was found for this?

I’m having the same problem on a Win 7 machine.
Faulting application name: blender-app.exe, version: 2.7.2.0
Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll, version: 9.0.30729.6161

It happens anytime a second window is closed.
Open user perferences and close it = crash.
Render to a New Window and close it = crash.
Dupicate Area in New Window and close it = crash.

Does anyone know what the code looks like for exiting a window?
Does anyone know what version of the MS runtimes are being compiled against?

Really well behaved machine except for this one problem with Blender.

Just trying to buy some clues here.
tia for any help.

aljo