Texture File Output Node

Hey there. I had an idea making a node where i can directly save to an PNG or TGA. Something like this:

I´m doing a lot of Texture work for game assets. And i´m using photoshop and substance designer for it. But they are damn slow or stupid to use for small changes like adding an alpha map to an image. So why not using blenders easy to use node editor.

I tried to make it as an python addon, but it did not work. i could not realize a button with the save function. So i´m asking you guys if someone has an advice for me how to realize this node.

Are you needing help with how to write the node itself, or with how to get the node to save an image with custom changes? The former is actually fairly easy; there are even templates in the Blender text editor you can use to wrap your head around it. I don’t know how to do the latter, but I certainly wouldn’t mind finding out if it’s indeed possible.

thanks for the reply ohsnapitsjoel. i started with a template and come really fast to a point where i could not achieve what i want.

1. I´m not a python coder. Java and C# are my core languages.
  2. The blender api is new to me and i could need help to find functions i would like to use.

Questions i have:

1. Is it possible only with python or do i need to change source code?
  2. Is it possible to achieve this as an addon?

if 1. is possible
How do i add an button, which saves an png.
How to process the image input to change the rgba values.

I’ve thought a lot about it and I don’t know the answer to those; it’s probably only possible to do by modifying the source(?).

thanks for your replay. If i have time over Christmas i will have a look into the blender source code. maybe i could get it done there.