New parametric curve object using Python

Hi all, I’d like to use Python to add a new parametric curve object to Blender. In short, this is how it should work.

1.) In object mode, click Add -> Curve -> Parametric curve. By default this would draw e.g. a uniform quadratic Lagrange curve using some default resolution.

2.) By going into edit mode, the control net of the curve is displayed. The control net in this case consists of three control points (just points in 2D or 3D) which are connected by two edges. It’s the same concept as used for a NURBS curve object in Blender.
Since the curve is a Lagrange curve, it interpolates the points (at, say, parameter values t=0, t=1 and t=2 — it’s a uniform quadratic Lagrange curve).

3.) Each control point Pi is automatically associated with a Lagrange basis function Li(t). The actual curve C(t) is defined as the sum of the control points each multiplied by their associated basis function. So, C(t) = P1L1(t) + P2L2(t) + P3*L3(t).

4.) By moving the control points, the curve is updated in real time (just re-compute the sum of the products of control points and basis functions). The resolution can be changed in the Data tab.

5.) In addition, a parameter span can be assigned to each edge. By default, each span is set to 1. This results in the Lagrange curve starting at t=0, interpolating the next control point at t=0+span=0+1=1 and interpolating the third point at t=1+span=1+1=2. Changing the parameter span results in a non-uniform Lagrange curve.

6.) Going back to object mode hides the control net again, just like a NURBS curve object in Blender.

My question, is it feasible to implement this as a Python addon (again, it would be very similar to the NURBS curve object, but AFAIK this is not coded in Python)? Also, I only used the Lagrange curve as an example to illustrate all aspects required for the actual project I’m working on. Thanks!

[Edit] I’m rather confident about drawing the actual curve (http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/1187/is-there-a-tool-for-scientific-visualization-using-blender contains a lot of good references), but the interactive part (moving the control points and updating the curve in real-time) as well as the additional visualization part (displaying/hiding the control net) worries me a little.