Engaged couple

Hello.

I’m doing realistic models of a engaged couple, to make some render for the wedding website and maybe 3D figurines for the wedding cake.

The boy’s head modeling and texturing is almost ready. It’s based on reference photos, used as a modeling guide and also as textures.

The texturing is done with a node based material, using a monochrome texture to control the mix between frontal and lateral photo textures.

The eyes uses also two textures of slightly different color and brightness, allowing fine-tuning of its look.
The hair, eyebrows and eyelids are hair systems. using two for each part and a procedural noise texture to make it look randomly realistic.

The main head mesh has 3866 quads. The eyes are separated objects, 472 quads each.
Renders with Blender Internal without post processing.

Hi.

Two renders of the mesh with the reference image background (viewport shading wireframe and material)

Dude, come on, you need to get the anatomy on the face and head right. and the hair needs to fit the head.

Hello.

Working on the body and hands, mesh and texturing.
The mesh is Manifold and currently has 12.120 faces, 100% quads.
The textures are based on photographic images.
Render with Blender Internal.

Hi.

Render and details of the mesh after some corrections in the proportions of the model, and add details like pockets, buttons and belt. The mesh is manifold and has 14.580 quads. Textures are unfinished.

Hi.

More images and test hand animation. Textures are unfinished.

The eyes are a little to big in my opinion. So is the nose. The chin area seems to be little to short. Try add some wrinkles to the clothing, you could use blenders cloth simulation.

Hello.

Thanks for the comment. The eyes are adjusted to the reference picture, but can be adjusted with armature. It is almost finished and currently has 336 bones. No shape keys have been used for facial rig. Here is a little animation test.

Also new render boyfriend and screen mesh detailing jacket, vest and tie. Manifold mesh with 17,720 quads. And new models of engagement ring in its box and glasses for the boyfriend. Render with Blender internal. The textures of the hand are unfinished.

More images…

I think the head topologie could be better

Hi.

Test Textures. Render Blender internal.

Doesn’t look very realistic, looks like a victim of the uncanny valley.

Creo que hay buena topologia en general, pero deberias revisar las proporciones del personaje; todavia no se ve realista y a pesar de que la malla de la cabeza esta hecha de acuerdo a las fotos, el personaje sigue viendose deforme.

Por ejemplo el torso y los hombros se ven muy cerrados, casi cartoon.

Part of the problem is the photos you took are misleading your modeling. Your photographs are close-ups, therefore the perspective distortion, which you can’t avoid in actual photography, is extreme.

To get an idea of how far off it is, use Loomis’s Standard Male Head Proportions as a background image.

If you are determined to do this right, get a tripod and a telephoto lens, and put your subject as far from the camera as you can and still fill the frame by zooming in as much as possible. 30 to 40 meters away would be good. This technique will minimize the perspective distortion and will give you an actual image you can use to make your model. You can still use your close up photos for the texture, since any distortion can be removed by adjusting the UVs over the image.

Hello

Thanks for the feedback.

Here are some images with the render mixed with images of the head by A. Loomis proposed as reference, and a photo of the real person’s body to show that is not disproportionate. With better references it could be more exact, but I don’t have them. and no time.

Here’s also a screenshot of the head’s mesh with some of the lops colored to highlight the topology.

New images with texture details and captures showing the bones.
The armature has 337 bones, most of them auxiliary. No shapes keys.

Also a test animation rendered from the viewport.

If you take a close look at the images you posted of your model and the loomis proportions, you can see that they are close, but not an exact match. Everything is off in tiny ways. It’s those tiny misproportions that make your model look like a Frankenstein caricature of your friend and not a match. The eyes are too high and a bit too far forward, The nose is a bit too wide, the ear is too low and the eyebrows are too high. In general, the parts closest to the camera when you took the photo are too large, and the things that were further away are too small.

If you have time, try tossing the photos and just adjust the facial features to match loomis, and see whether the result looks more like your friend (keep the outline of the skull…focus on the eyes, the nose, the corners of the mouth, and the ears.)

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

What I like to do, is I use photos from any angle that I can find. I then put them all into one image, and in one monitor (or in half of the screen) I have it up for reference, while I sculpt the head in blender. This makes it just like a real sculptor with clay. I have many angles of the face in my reference, so then I can see exactly where and how big the features are. I then retopo it after my sculpt is done.

I rarely use images as a backdrop. And when I do, I use it as more of a general guide, which I quickly get away from. the perspective in a photo will always mess you up if you try to model that in an orthographic view.

Bride.

Finished the head with 4.386 quads.

Hello

Some details of textures and hair of the braid, and an animation of the boy training to dance.

The hair, eyebrows and eyelids are particle systems.

Render with BI.