need a sticky grenade script

I used to have a sticky grenade script that I’ve found some years ago but lost now. This was working with a dynamic parenting system using collision to parent an object (throwable) to another. If anyone could propose me a script like this one it would be very useful for everyone :eyebrowlift:

I don’t think you need a script to achieve this.

To your sticky grenade that you spawn in (through an empty etc.)

1. Add a collision sensor (and leave it blank) however make sure you make the spawner no collision!
  2. Join the collision sensor to an edit object actuator
  3. Change add object to dynamics
  4. select suspend dynamics (if your grenade has dynamic movement or select disable rigid body for rigid body movement)
  5. Add a delay (maybe 120 or 2 seconds), and then spawn in your explosion (edit Object) and delete the grenade object (end Object)

Hope this helps, no parenting needed ;).

-Thatimst3r

This won’t “stick” to a moving object, which is what CarlJohnson is looking for. For other uses though, a good solution :slight_smile:

def stick_to(cont):
    own = cont.owner
    collision_sensor = next(s for s in cont.sensors if isinstance(s, bge.types.KX_TouchSensor))
    if not collision_sensor.positive:
        return

hit_obj = collision_sensor.hitObject
    own.parent = hit_obj

For use in module mode, with a collision sensor

I don’t think you can use own.parent=

I think you need own.setParent(sens.hitObject,0,1)

I might be doing something wrong in my setup, but your method isn’t working.
I’ve got a grenade running the script, with a default Collision sensor attached to it.
Whenever the grenade is spawned, launched with a linear velocity, and then makes contact with another object, I get this in the console:

line 11, in stick_to
AttributeError: attribute 'parent' of 'KX_GameObject' objects is not writable

The python API shows that the “hitObject” property is read-only; perhaps that is the cause?

replace

own.parent = hit_obj

with

own.setParent(sens.hitObject,0,1)

collision--------------python

import bge
cont=bge.logic.getCurrentController()
own=cont.owner
sens=cont.sensors['Collision']

if sens.positive:
    own.setParent(sens.hitObject,0,1)

NOTE: this relies on the collision sensor being named Collision and connected to the controller

EDIT: Nevermind…
Thank you, BPR! :slight_smile:

No problem, Happy Blending!

Thanks Everyone !