Threshold of the Tunnel

Two explorers venture into a long forgotten tunnel…

Known issuse:

• The Floor and the walls don’t blend into each other
  • The tunnel isnt dark enough (maybe i should use environment volumetrics?)

I’m trying to improve, so any suggestions would be most welcome,

52H3D

a couple of suggestions: The lighting could be improved, and there is not much interest in the composition. Things like debris or something to indicate what might be beyond, like bones, or a dented helmet. Or one of those things where you set your torch.

I would also note, when you start making bump effects that big, you really should look into using displacement or actual modeling for that type of detail instead unless you decide you’re going to go for a sort of ‘papercraft’ look.

A lot of work is needed yet, but being at this point is pretty normal for someone new to 3D.

I like your idea of casting the explorers’ shadows into the scene.

The UV layout of the texture on the floor keeps distracting me though. It feels like it should be rotated about 45 degrees to follow the flow of the passageway (or it could just be my anal retentiveness acting up). It might still work with the current orientation if the UVs for the floor are scaled up instead.

I second the idea of using a displacement modifier for added detail.

What if you were to sculpt the floor and walls out of a subdivided cylinder, rather than keeping them as two separate units?

I agree with most of that already said, though I am not entirely sure about the UV mapping. Also, although I like the idea, I am unsure why the explorer’s shadows are cast forward. Assuming it is lit by headlamps or torches held in front of the person. But I do like the idea, and think that it makes the scene far more interesting. I am just a bit uncertain how it should work.

The idea is that it is the beginning of the tunnel, so it’s natural light from outside causing the shadows.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. although I’ve been doing 3D stuff for about three years, I’ve realised recently that I’ve spent to much time learning all the features of Blender, and not enough actually improving my skills as an artist.
Thanks
52h3D