Lightsaber Effect In Clone Wars

Hi guys, i was referred to this site so here I go.

I have been told on three other sites that in order to achieve the lightsaber effects in the Clone Wars, I should visit tutorials by blender cookie and others. These never appealed to me because they do not have the sharp look as they do in the Clone Wars. Also, when the blur nodes are applied in the compositor, the glow has a growing effects when the lightsaber moves away. Please help me on possibly what the visual effects artists had done in order to create the lightsaber in the Clone Wars. This would be of great help and I appreciate all that you can do for me (possibly even create a .blend file for me to use as reference?).

Thank You So Much.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Compositing and Post Processing”

Do you mean just the glow, or the effect of the lightsabers being swung around?

The glow could probably be done with freestyle or by creating a volume around the light saber, rather than as glow in post.

As for the animation effect, it seems highly stylized and dependent on the intent behind the lightsaber being moved. The motion blur looks normal when characters are running with a drawn weapon, or flung through the air, or when the camera moves. But once the weapon is deliberately moved during a fight, the effect happens.