Is there any way to move vertices en-masse along their own normals

Hi all. Here’s my situation;. I’ve carefully marked out lots of details, by marking edges as sharp. and i would now like to sink those sharpened edges into the object, to create sharp grooves. However the object is very organic and complex, and there’/s nowhere i can set the pivot point that i’ll get a good result by scaling down

All of the vertices have normals, of course. Which pretty much point along the desired direction of motion.
So what i would like to do in that regard, is just to select all my vertices, and move them en-masse along each of their individual normal vectors. I can’t figure out any way to accomplish this except one at a time, though.

can anyone point me in the right direction?

Have you tried “alt s” (together) in edit mode, with verts selected.

that seems to slide all the vertices back and forth along some global axis, definitely not what i wanted

What ‘Pivot Point’ are you using?

If you ‘Shrink/Fatten’ [alt-s] when using pivoting around ‘Individual Origins’ it will, strangely, move along a single axis.

an alternative possibility; all my vertices are rigged to a skeleton. if i could have them all scale towards/away from the nearest bone, that would be fine too.

oh wow, thanks dan, you’re right. changing it to median point made it work. WOO :slight_smile:

From the wiki: nothing global about it.
"This tool translates selected vertices/edges/faces along their own normal (perpendicular to the face), which, on “standard normal meshes”, will shrink/fatten them.
This transform tool does not take into account the pivot point or transform orientation. "

Edit, I see it’s working now.

Yeah, it’s strange, all ‘Pivot Point’ settings work the same, just not ‘Individual Origins’…

Just reminding you
the shrink/fatten (alt+S) in edit mode has an equivalent in obj mode. The displacement modifier. Just enable it and play with strength.