The Q Ball

The Q Ball!

I’ve been developing this guy for my rigging / animation demo reel, and I thought I’d post a render. He’s rigged with dynamic real-time fat jiggle (face / arms / belly / chest / rear) and floppy antennae and tons of stretchy bones, lattices and driven shape keys for maintaining volume, so I’ve had a lot of fun with him.

Rendered in Cycles with a little post in GIMP.

Very cool! Please point us to the animation, once you have it ready!

Cheers from Brazil.

Thanks! Will do. :slight_smile:

Great render and waiting for a animation too! Really cant wait to see this fat hero ass bouncing arround! hahahha

This guy looks very comical. I would love to see an animation!
Great job.

Great character. I’m a little curious about the “real time fat jiggle.” Could you explain that a little more?

Thanks!

I should qualify that what I mean by “real-time” is “while it’s playing back in the viewport.” Maya has its jiggle deformers, which are more “real-time” than Blender’s simulation tools, but that was the effect I was trying to replicate using Blender’s native tools.

What I’ve done is use multiple lattices with softbody sims to control the various parts of the body that I wanted to jiggle.

Each has a set of parameters that are driven by off-body controls so I can tune the jiggle effects in real-time.

The antennae are deformed by a curve deform modifier, using NURBS curves with softbody sims.

Thanks for the explanation. I have not done much with softbody simulations yet. I’ll have to add it to my to do list.

I’ve finished my rigging reel (actually I did a while back, and forgot to post it here). You can see this guy in action here: