[Bug]Hair is on the inside of model

Hey all, I’ve started work on a small project and somehow the hair spawns on the inside and when I try to place my own the hair won’t even pierce the head model at all.
On my first head model I assumed it had to do with the fact that i modelled it with a plane but then on the second model I used a box and so far its the same result. Tried shifting the faces and recalculating the normals. Nothing seems to change this.

This is a bit of a side note, but this is anime based and would you prefer polying the hair or using the hair system to make it and just follow what that type of anime hair typically means and do it with the hair system?

Have you tried flipping the normals (W / flip normals)

Please supply an example blend file for review that demonstrates the problem

Tried to flip the normals. The hair still spawned inside, but the hair I place now pierce the model, but not even near where I placed it. Try to spawn it on the top of the head but it goes on the neck.
I know the models don’t look too pretty, but as I’m using a laptop I can not go too much in detail without entering laggtown. So I’m trying to see what I can get away with as far as the models prettiness by covering things with the hair when I can.

Sasuke Genin head mode merging.blend (1 MB)Naruto Genin Head model.blend (518 KB)

You’re not ready to start using hair systems. You need to work on the basics first.

Richard was fundamentally right however – your normals were flipped. See how the mesh is an ugly dark color, that means flipped normals. There is no bug here.

This model has about 20 issues that must be addressed before you think about hair. A short list:

1. Doubles (not a lot but they are there)
  2. unapplied rotation
  3. A mirror o the z axis?
  4. NGONs! faces with more than 4 edges.
    4b) poles with greater thzan 5 edges
  5. Mesh density. the nose is extremely dense, bridges to the lower density cheeks with n-gon city.
  6. Smooth shading should be on
  7. Subsurf should come after mirror in stack
  8. Origin is not at center… It keeps going and going. I would just stop.

Check out some basics from blendercookie, and take another crack at a head a little later. I really don’t recommend trying to fix what you have.

Huh, I tried flipping the normals but nothing happened. But hey a third try fixed that

1. I think I keep pressing that every time I have done a few things on this model because of its wonky mirror.
  2. Rotation?
  3. The rotation did not work on the x axis, I think I may have moved the plane too far in edit mode from its Origin center for that to work.
  4. I tried to get it to work properly based on two different views. It did not go so well. A simple dissolve will fix the count on the nose itself but where it connects with the face I need that count I believe, well some of it at least.
  5. I thought it was on… Must have gone off last I worked on it.
  6. Did not know that. Followed a tutorial that said subsurf first.

Well, I could still salvage the head itself and remove the ear and nose. Worth it in your view?

I have since started this thread managed to model a wolf’s basic shape and applied a hair system on it that works, I think I know how to model something :stuck_out_tongue: I’m just a bit behind on how to model organics.

If I’m not learning how to do something new. Create a light, a fire or smoke. Cloth or anything I don’t already know then I prefer to do trial and error. Until I need to create an animatable topology I think that’s what I’ll be doing. No better way to cement something in itself than that.

EDIT:
Sorry if I sound a bit angry… And just scratch that salvage part, I redid one head and the second one will probably be done tomorrow. So I think this thread could be locked now.