How can I make a manga in Blender

I’m trying to make a manga series, but I can’t draw. So one day I was looking at some comic books and I noticed that they looked kinda like 3D objects, so I thought to myself “is it possible to do the same thing with manga?”. I pretty much know how to get it looking like manga (sort of, not really) but in order to get the positions and everything correct, kinda like in this image here:

but you need to rig the characters, make the clothing correct, and then position them. And even when you do that, you still need to make the image correct so that it doesn’t look 3D. Can someone PLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAASE show me a step by step process of getting this look?!!! It would help me so much.

you have written the step by step process down there, just need to go to google and youtube and start practicing one by one those item, in something like two or two and a half years you will be probably able to replicate that manga page, maybe a bit less if you get someone to be sit next to you at your house explaining how to do the things, but at leas need to expend a year of intense study and practice.
there are no shortcuts, all the info you need its in you tube, vimeo, tutv etc start practicing upload your progress get feedback and critics get better.
Cheers

I second that.

As @lich said, you described the whole process in your post; the only thing left is to make the renders using freestyle to have the look you want.

Take a look at this https://blendernpr.org/

To follow this up a bit, I wonder if you’ve considered vector graphics? Inkscape would be a great place to start.

Hello,
If you’ve got a model it’s possible to make lineart using Gimp - Bump Map Filter

Do have any experience in drawing and drawing manga or anything anime related? You going to need all the knowledge on the subject as you can get to make it look right.

To understand how to make manga in blender you going to have to be a master of blender not in 3D skills but knowing all the limits of what blender can and can’t do. Also you going to have to experiment alot to figure out those limits.

Manga models are like a hard surface in the way you have to make them so that it shades right. The surface can’t be bumpy or it will show in the shading.

Here is some tutorials to get you started
Blender Anime Character Modeling Tutorial
Anime Character Modeling Tutorial II
My Timelapses are in my signature.

For Shading this will get you started
Anime Shaders

Using freestyle you can obtain some very anime-ish look, check out this videos for examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viHAqJe5noo (this one is kind of NSFW)

I am also getting interested into this topic, but I’m only a beginner, I’ll let you know if I get some good looking results

Thank you guys so much, I’ll be sure to check all of your stuff when I get the chance!

Are you in Blender making that? If so, are you in the node editor?

I’ve been working on this scene lately:

which is inspired from this page of solanin, by inio asano:

it is a work in progress, all the materials and the texture are placeholders and I have barely started detailing the models, but i think it doesn’t look too bad (considering also that this is my first blender project and i have been using the program for about a month).
It’s done with a combination of freestyle and toon shaders

1 Like