Mapping a texture using an empty

Hi,

I’m not sure how to do this with the new Cycles engine, although I used to be able to do know how to do it using Blender Render engine.

I’m trying to position a texture (a logo) onto a mesh object. I’d like to do this by positioning an empty object in front of the mesh object where the logo would be mapped. The empty would be vertex parented to the mesh object. Then the texture would be mapped on the mesh object where the empty is located.

I don’t know if I’ve explained this properly. I am now a little bit confused on how to do this in the new Cycles engine.

Thanks for reading! :cool:

Volo

see this thread

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modifiers/Modify/UV_Project

happy cl

Thanks for your reply, however this still remains unresolved, as your suggestion is not available when working in Cycles. On this tutorial, at the end it states that this is not available in Cycles.

In my view using an empty is not a technique implemented anymore and it was quite a useful quick ‘n’ dirty way of positioning decals without having to UV unwrap etc. I hope Blender implements ways if positioning objects as targets for texture mapping again.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Volo

it works in cycles now

Empty-drive.blend (533 KB)

happy cl