Space Vanagon

So I recently bought an old 1980 vanagon, and it’s fantastic (once I can get it running?), and I thought it’d be fun to make a video 3d tracking a bunch of spaceship parts all over it for a music video or something.

I bought the initial vanagon model off of turbosquid (figured I couldn’t be the first person who’s ever wanted a 3d model of a vanagon), and I still need to do a detail/materials pass on it (it looks a little basic right now), but it provided a good starting point to build off of.

Mostly it was just an excuse to have fun doing hard-surface modeling, and letting myself go a little wild with the copy/paste :D. But it’s also become a really good way to learn about texturing.

Still a lot of stuff I wanna do to it (gotta make crazy landing gear, and figure out how the “wings” attach to the body), and that’s before I try the 3d tracking. Should be fun!

I’d love for it to actually make (a little bit) of mechanical sense. Obviously there’s greebles aplenty, and some of it is just ridiculous (maybe I’m going a bit heavy on the cheese-grater heatsink airflaps), but I’m trying to keep it a biiiiit grounded.

Originally there were gonna be giant laser propellers that came out the front… we’ll see if those stick.

Looks great man. Nice concept and execution. One thing I noticed though, is the texture mapping on your van roof is a little off.

This is an interesting project… rather bizarre, but well done so far. It probably needs some more indication of its size and movement, at first to me it looked to be a pile of mechanical debris, sitting possibly on a table. Then again, maybe that is good…

This looks flipping amazing! So cool, awesome detail and already great looking materials and lighting. I’d love to see more!

Wow, amazing! Like Modron said, the mapping is off on the van’s roof. But still amazing!