Blender color management, profiles, etc.

Hi,

I’m working on a project where having 100% correct colors is really important. In some cases I have the opportunity to work based on photos. Applied textures in Blender have completely different colors than in PS or Windows. I’ve attached a screenshot demonstrating the difference between PS and Blender UV/Image Editor. It’s even more noticable in rendered view of the texture.
Can anyone point out what I’m doing wrong? Maybe a setting somewhere I haven’t noticed or something. In Blender I’ve set every setting I’ve found to sRGB.
My specs are:
-Windows 8.1 x64
-Blender 2.72 (using Cycles)
-GTX580
-Asus PB278QR (professionally sRGB calibrated, color profile loaded in OS)

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/bTWk3KQ.png

Cheers!

Are you sure Photoshop is in a ‘default’ color state?

In Photoshop in Edit/Color Settings I’ve also loaded the calibrated color profile for my monitor, so not “default”, but the one that’s set up for my device. By the way the same difference is also present when default sRGB profile is loaded into Photoshop.

A few points:

• Blender does not use ICC based color management.
  • Calibration loaded at boot will not correct colors.
  • Blender uses assumed sRGB primaries as the base color primaries.

If you are doing color critical work within Blender, it will require utilizing a 3D LUT for your display output.

While I cannot offer advice based on the information given, I strongly suspect you have a profile being used within PS to correct your display. This of course is not in the output display pipeline in Blender, and as a result your images differ quite dramatically.

Feel free to contact me via email to sort out your color pipeline.

Thank you very much, that’s what I was looking for. So the ICC profile I have is useless when it comes to 3D work. I’d be glad if you could help me with this, right now my only choices are

• rendering something entirely wrong and correct it in PS
  • having my screen split adjust every single color with an HSV node
    both of which seems time consuming.
    I’ll drop you a pm since I don’t have your email address, thanks, cheers!

You would have to create a 3D LUT from the monitor profile to load into Blender.

There is more information on this here:- http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Sobotka/Color_Management/Calibration_and_Profiling#Hook_the_3D_LUT_into_Blender

But definitely talk to troy_s, he knows somewhat more about this subject than I do. :slight_smile: