Door Hinge with Physics Only - How?

Hey guys,

I’ve been trying to figure out how to get a door hinge like in real life, without having to animate it.

While the Rigid Body Joint seems to do exactly what I want, the Collision Bounds seem to be centred the hinge itself (the mesh’s pivot point), rather than the actual model? This means that if you put a wall next to it, it will interfere with the door’s collision and the door will go CRAZY.

[ATTACH]345801[/ATTACH]

My question is - is there a way to get the collision bounds to actually be where the mesh is, and not around the mesh’s pivot point?

I know I could animate but I want to stick with physics for this one. Is it possible? And if yes, how?

Thanks guys in advance,

Pete

triangle mesh

also check this out.

your going to want to make a “proxy” physics mesh, then parent your model no collision to it.

Attachments

HingeProblemBPrReturn.blend (797 KB)

also this should be in blender game engine, as that is how your getting at bullet in this file,

Brilliant! I’m not sure if I’m speaking for others as well but I’m personally well chuffed with it, especially because I’ve seen people ask the same question before here and there, but everyone was getting the same answer - best to animate. Well I’m glad it’s not the only way! This demo is great, many thanks again!