Mr. Grinch

WIP For BG Christmas 2014 Competition
“Mr. Grinch”

Concept: Realistic/Caricature portrait of the Grinch. Adapted from the classic (1966) “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” TV Special produced by Chuck Jones. If you didn’t see it as a kid, I’m sorry. Fill the gap in your cultural knowledge here (pardon the Portuguese CC). NOTE: This will not be influenced by the revolting live-action 2000 Grinch with Jim Carrey. It is an abomination.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]350260[/ATTACH]

9 days to go!

Attachments

Doing more sculpting tonight; finally figured out what the big inconsistency was. Strayed from the t-shaped form of the head (as shown below).

My goal is to have the low-poly done by Tuesday and start experimenting. Once I’m happy with the look I’ll retopologize (with my new RetopoFlow toolset) and start detail sculpting.

Sketching out different viewing angles.
Trying to use traditional tools for concepts instead of all digital.

I’m taking a whole new approach to the face, with a different expression. Here’s a shot.

3 hours elapsed on project.

Made a little more progress today. Very very slow, but steady. Spending less than 30 minutes each day now.

Looking much better today.

Retopology is coming along nightly. Not perfect, but I don’t have all the time in the world.
PolyStrips is a beautiful tool.

Retopology is almost finished. Just need to work on the mouth cavity and join the disparate mesh regions.

Retopo DONE! Now for hyper-detail sculpting & hair particle experimentation

Finished the hands and small mesh adjustments. RetopoFlow tools allowed me to remesh the hands in about 5 minutes.

Coming along swimmingly. Texturing/matting cartoon eyes for cycles is tricky business. The lights get complex enough that they mess up the scene, so I’ll probably have to take it onto another render layer.

And please ignore the hat! It’s ticking me off and I finally gave up on it. Retopology on soft-bodies is ridiculous. Who even came up with that idea. Oh, yeah…

No replies?? This is really great sculpting. I love the retopo too; looks very clean!

yes indeed really nice to see the progress ! . nice work on the edgeflow…

Thanks for checking it out! Glad you liked it.
Here’s some more from today (only had 45 minutes to spare for this today). Bag was cloth-sim converted to 90% shapekey with multires sculpting on top.

I’d appreciate feedback on the sack. It’s supposed to be canvas. Does it look believable? Lumps are items poking at the fabric. More or less wrinkle-wise?

Good stuff man! You got to love that old Mr. Grinch.

Finished sculpting Mount Crumpit

A little dark with the Matcap but you get the idea.

Christmas break starts today so I’ll have plenty of new progress to share. Might move this thread to Focused Critique tomorrow.

Here’s some more.

Weight painting be like. . .

I’m experimenting with color and composition of the final shot. I generated a complementary color scheme with Adobe Kuler and used the colors in Photoshop as overlays on each portion. To me it seems garish but it may just match the Dr. Seuss ideal. I’m inclined to light the scene much differently (night-time, for one) so this is just speculation right now.