Using all fonts available to the operating system

Does anyone know if there is a way to get blender to show all the fonts available to the operating system in a menu (with previews if possible) without having to load them one at a time? Its frustrating that I can’t use Adobe Typekit fonts in programs like Photoshop, After Effects and even Notepad but not Blender.

(Windows 8.1)

Cheers

As far as I know (and I’ve worked with Blender Text many times) there is no way to preview a font face in Blender.

The only thing I can suggest is to use Accessories > System Tools > Character Map or just open Windows Explorer in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder and preview that way. Not a real solution, but better than nothing. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply Rontarrant. The previewing would be very helpful as would being able to use Typekit fonts without jumping through hoops first (finding where they’re kept hidden, renaming etc). Seems like it would be a simple feature to implement.

1 Like

In my experience one has to find the folder where font files are and select them from there. But if you open micorsoft word (i assume you are on windows not mac or linux) you can see the fonts all previewed in there. then in blender select a font file with the closest file name to the name of the font you liked the look of in word (or publisher or powerpoint). That is how i select fonts for text objects in blender, it’s a bit slow and inefficient but it works. Once you’ve managed to find the correct fonts folder on the computer, usually pretty buried away.

Yeah, the font folder in windows has all the normal fonts (although the files are sometimes named differently). Typekit is a different kettle of fish though. Would be great to have access and previews to all fonts including Typekitt from within Blender. I suppose I need to find out how to suggest the feature rather than moaning about it :slight_smile:

I use font viewer. You can type in the text you want to view and the size you want . Its kinda slow on windows 7.
I thought Blender does see all installed fonts. I took all my fonts in a folder selected all and installed all at one time.

The biggest hurdle is matching the names of fonts in a viewer to the names Blender sees in its font dialog. I’ve never found any way to do this besides trial and error.

You can sometimes Google the fonts to find the file name.