How to animate vertices/vertex groups?

So I was wondering if there was a way to animate vertices/vertex groups in Blender. I don’t mean shape keys, I mean going into edit mode, assigning a keyframe to some vertices, advancing the timeline, moving the vertices, and adding another keyframe. I’m tired of spending an hour or two rigging a character, then starting to animate and realizing the rig doesn’t even work properly. If Blender does not have a feature to animate vertices, does anyone know if there is a plugin for this? Any help would be appreciated.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Animation/AnimAll

I agree with Richard Marklew that AnimAll allows you to directly do this…

but you may also be interested in using Latices…

Or you might want to use Hooks…

Thank you! I am using AnimAll and it works perfectly! I can finally animate my character without worrying about bugs in the rig. I can’t believe not many people know of this feature, it saves a lot of time and effort.

Yes… like all 3D software… and really any complex application… there’s lots of specialized ‘stuff’ hidden in the cracks… it takes awhile to absorb it all… and there is always more than one way to do things… sometimes the best way… takes a while to learn… I discover new things about Blender everything I come up on the boards here…