A Hobbit Hole

I’ve spent several months of on and off work on this project and I believe that it’s mostly finished now, but before I start the final render I want to check for areas I can improve. The problems I think it has are the colouring, focus point and whether it’s a bit crowded, also the grass might be a bit repetitive and the stones seem a bit flat, I’d like to have some other people’s opinions on these and any other things that could be improved.

Thanks in advance

I am a major LOTR fan and could not resist the thread. Personaly I think there needs to be more here. Add a gate and some garden beds. Just look up some pictures of a hobbit hole and you will know what I mean. The hole needs more detail itself. Like indented doors and windows. What I had to say is just look at an image of a hobbit hole and compare it to a real one. Then go back and make your image more like that.

Attachments

Great concept, and excellent overall modeling. I’d love to see future iterations.

A couple of suggestions: get the light shining on the door and windows, so we can catch some of the details. Also, spend some more time on the pumpkins, as they deserve to be more detailed and realistic. Watch the tutorial “Procedural Textures and Cycles Volumetrics”, by Sardi Pax (on YouTube), and you will get some great ideas and techniques for modeling and texturing them.

Cheers from Brazil!

I think the one pumpkin in the front should either be removed or put in a spot where it is completely visible, because the way it is placed currently is confusing and doesn’t make sense composition-wise.

For the coloring you could get a nice red and green complementary color scheme going, but the blue sky in the background is not letting you. The lighting is also quite uninteresting/dark, maybe you could add some sunset light from the side to get some nice shadows going, and at the same time make the sky orange/red. It’s all up to you of course. :slight_smile:

Is this Cycles or BI?

I think it is fine But it has a delivery at the door and it looks like Bilbo has been gone for a long time, it is over grown and no worn path in the growth.
The thing about the pumpkin is it looks taller then a hobbit, something that need to be removed by the occupant. Maybe the home owner is gone.
Compere it to a real Hobbit hole.
Good job .

Sorry, I haven’t been able to reply over the last week, I’ve been doing mock exams foe the entire week and for the Monday of next week, I’ll be able to start work after then. Thank you all for your feedback, I will definitely act upon as much of it as I can.

I really like how this render is looking so far, but I would have to agree that the colors need a bit of work. Check out some pictures of Matamata, New Zealand, where they staged the shire for the movies. The greens there are very vibrant, and the yellows that occur there also blend nicely with everything else.