Modeling problem - black line/line showing up at center of mesh

Hey guys, I ran into a problem with my head model i’m currently working on to where there is this wierd black line that kinda sticks out when I do I render. I have the mirror modifier on and subsurf and yes I believe they are in the proper order however I tried many things including applying the modifier and deleting the center vertices and bridging them.

Here is my head model, I’m working hard on it to be used in a Cinematic clip.

Also as a side question, should I add another layer over the eyes for that specular look of the eyes?

Did you move the modifier up in the stack?

Yeah I have the mirror modifier first at the top and at the bottom is the subsurf. I’m not sure what I can do to fix this as the front of the face is important.

It’s strange, as the line seems to run off-centre to the model. Can we see a picture of head geometry, and the settings of your modifiers?

Sure thing dan, here is a front and side view of the model along with the modifiers section. I usually fixed this problem before by applying the modifier but its not working this time and yeah the line isn’t dead center for some reason, its strange. Also I know my topology is probably not that good, I need to work on it around the neck and bottom of head.

Cropped screenshots don’t tell much. A .blend file would give more information.

Vertices on the mirror plane don’t seem to align in the front view. Looks as if they’re on the left side of Z axis line and the object origin. If they’re close but object scale is unapplied, mirror modifier merge limit and clipping might not be doing what they’re supposed to.

Two possibilities (without a file to look at):

1. you inadvertently scaled the center row of vertices, or
  2. you don’t have enough subdivisions in your SubDiv modifier.

Hey sorry for the late reply as its late and I have an interview tomorrow but anyways here is the file:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/0nyb6z

Please update me with what you find, I’m sure I did something wrong and I should be aware of it. I hope the link works, I used to use mediafire but it changed so idk what else to use.

Good example of why .blend files are useful.

It’s because of the lighting setup. There are two point lamps either side of the model and left one is orders of magnitude brighter than others. It creates a core shadow in the middle of the face. Moving the lamps forward also move the shadow.

Mirror modifier doesn’t have clipping enabled and vertices on the mirror plane don’t line up exactly but that’s not the cause of the black line. Still, could enable clipping and move all middle vertices until they lock in the middle.

Thank you so much JA12, this def. solved my problem. I was thinking about this and the shading was something I had in mind but I never would have thought the lights. I feel like a noob lol but hey I am and I’m still learning alot. Now to fix the topology a bit around the neck.