De Vliegende Hollander

I’ve been working on this for about 6 months now, I recently changed to Cycles Rendering and in the process of making new textures for everything, need to know how to improve so far

Welcome to the forum, adele98!

That’s a good start so far. I think there shall be water between the gates? The size of the cobble stones in the foreground should be smaller, compared to the bricks of the wall. And the textures look a bit fat at the moment. You may want to experiment with normal maps or even a little displacement.

But besides that your model looks solid. Keep at it and continue to post your results :slight_smile:

What do you mean by the textures look a bit fat? But yes, there will be water, it is based on a rollercoaster ride and so far i have only built and textured this and the actual ride part. I am currently working on a laptop which isn’t very good though, so i cannot put the water in yet as it makes it freeze

I’m going to wager that he meant to say “flat”… not fat :smiley: Or I could be completely wrong.

A little extra lighting probably wouldn’t hurt. Looks like an interesting start.

I might be wrong, but I thought there was an addon for converting BI materials to Cycles materials. I have no idea how well it’d work, but it might be worthwhile if you’ve got a lot of other materials to change over.

I dont have much experience with lighting, I have no lighting in at the moment I don’t think, there are lights in the scene which I havent made yet and also experimenting to see which looks best.
Well with the textures I had, they were flat and unrealistic. So using crazybump I improved the look etc., I’ll have a look for the addon though as it’ll be useful for the materials which looked fine, thank you!

I might be wrong, but I thought there was an addon for converting BI materials to Cycles materials. I have no idea how well it’d work, but it might be worthwhile if you’ve got a lot of other materials to change over.

Yes, there was such an addon and I used it also when I started to migrate to Cycles. It did it’s job. But I don’t know if it’s working under 2.72. (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/System/Convert_Materials_to_Cycles)

So using crazybump I improved the look etc.

That’s a good choice, and it produces nice textures. Oh, and by the way: I really meant flat instead of “fat” :wink:

Keep us posted :slight_smile:

I decided I’m gonna redo a lot of the textures and the meshes, I recently started one of the houses.