Noob questions about 4-vertex-faces and symmetry

Hello everyone,

I am not entirely new to 3D modelling but i only have some experience with archaic versions of C4D, so I’m currently taking my first steps in blender, I watched a few basic tutorials to get past that “How do I anything?” :confused: moment. So I am currently modelling some sort of alien bug creature, and created most of the basic body structure through extruding from a cube. So most of the faces on the model now have 3 vertices, so naturally they have to "fold over two of these if they are not all perfectly on the same plane, right?

The problem i have with that is that where such a face is folded concave while their opposites are convex. The question i have with that is if i were to start sculpting over these faces, will the difference affect how the sculpt comes out?

If it should become problematic, is there a simple way to “synchronize” the way these faces fold? I know i could connect vertices diagonally but that will increase the polygon count and doing this with every single face is a lot of work.

And finally while modelling i noticed too late that i built the symmetry of my model around the wrong axis, so now if i try to do something like “X mirror” in the Mesh Options it mirrors between the head an the tail instead of left and right side. Is there a way, to set the axis orientation for an individual object, that might fix this, so I can sculpt symmetrically later?

Thanks for any help you can give me. If there are threads answering this already, i’m sorry, I really didn’T know what to put into the search function to find them.

PS: I added a screenshot to demonstrate the non-symmetrical “folding” of the faces.

Attachments

That’s exactly what I needed, thanks!