Render of Space debris

Hi everyone,

I made another job-related video here:

In this video you can see all NORAD-registered parts of Models from
space debris in Feb. 2014 in their respective orbits.

Envisat Model and Textures are from ESA. I made the node-based material myself, Briz-M is completly modeled and textured by myself.

May I ask how you managed to get the orbital data and import it into the scene in a way blender could use it?

I am primarily interested in using blender for scientific visualization as part of my job…

As a general question for everyone: Is there any blender data visualization add on packages that you are aware of? Something that could import data files and plot them in 3d?

I downloaded the data from here: http://satellitedebris.net/Database/ you can get the data as a *.csv file from there. Then I used python-panda to sort the list for space debris and put the orbital data into blender. A second script then gets called on every new frame in blender and sets the position of a lot of vertices in a mesh according to the orbital elements from NORAD. Now that you ask I am thinking about releasing the script on github. Give me some time to tidy up the code a little bit. Could be an interesting addition for scientific visualizations in blender, because with this script you can accurately control the movement of millions of particles in a mesh.

greetings, Tom

If you had any success with cleaning up the code I think it could be a powerful tool…

Hi…nice work…can you share the code? Thanks
Gabriel