Is it possible to land a job just modeling assets(no characters)?

This has been in my mind for a while now and I’m working on a CG clip of a female fighting off these creatures but I don’t think its an area I want to dive into while modeling as a career. So lets say I just want to model things that would make up a level in a game or a scene that will be used in an animation shot.

Is it possible to land a job by just doing those things rather than modeling characters and what would the position be called by any chance?

If it’s just environment modeling,you will also need drawing skills as well as a good understanding of lighting.Rigging and texturing will also come in handy.

You should check out Polycount,lots of people from big gaming studios go there to polish up their skills and share their tips and tricks.

Thanks for the reply DCBloodHound, I’ve done most of those things already althought I know for sure I need to brush up my drawing skills and I need to get a better understanding about lighting. Perhaps there is a tutorial that discusses lighting well in blender? Anyways thanks and I also took the time to register at polycount but it seems I can’t really post any topics because my rank or perhaps I wasn’t approved but I’ve been registered for a few months I believe so I’m not sure why.

You have to make a post in the new member thread (check your inbox on polycount for a link to the thread).Activation can take from 1h to 4d depending on how busy the mods are.

Learning lighting just for blender would serve as good practice but it’s not going to do you much good.You need to learn to fake lighting in general so you can achieve the results you want in any software and render engine (since most game companies are going to use their own game engine,each game engine handles lighting differently but results can all look the same with the right amount of knowledge)