Is duplicating a text object the only way to share font attributes?

I created a text object with the text “Primary”, then selected the font I like, named the font “Font1”, then adjusted the size, offset, bevel, extrusion, letter spacing, etc.
Next I created a second text object, with the text “Secondary”, and I want to use the same font attributes as “Font1”. If I go to the font tab and select the name “Font1” from the drop-down list, the text (of the second text object) changes from “Secondary” to “Primary”, so I have two “Primary”'s.
The only way I have found to use the attributes of “Font1” is to duplicate (shift-d) “Primary”, go into edit mode, erase the word “Primary” and type in “Secondary”.

Is there a better way?

Shift Select Secondary, Third,…, then Primary as a last in selection. Ctrl-L link - Object Data.

Thank you for the info. I tried it out. I selected Secondary, then shift-selected Primary, then did ctrl-L and clicked on Object Data. The text of Secondary took on the attributes of Primary, but the text of Secondary was also replaced with the text Primary. I don’t want the text to change, just the attributes. Is this a bug?

Ouch… Mea culpa.
This is intended behavior - all objects now share same data, including text itself. Edit one - the rest will follow.
This you can undo by hitting U and making it single user object; each will retain properties they all shared and these can be edited individually but text as such is gone on the first step unfortunately.

Blender does not allow to paste text into currently edited text object however there is a cheat:
-select Text object; do not edit it yet, just select it
-open Python console window and paste in this:

import bpy
C.active_object.data.body = 'Test Test Test 
 Second line 
 Third line'

Open your text as a file in Blender’s text editor and abuse second line as much as you like each time selecting new text object in the 3d view.

Text editor itself has a menu item Edit -> Text To 3D Object

Could be there are alternatives but this is what i came up right now…apologies for misleading.

Edit: … wrong again… Blender does not allow to Ctrl-V text in edit mode… it has Menu item for that.
It even has a special name - Paste Clipboard , no shortcuts…
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=80161 :wink:

“This is intended behavior - all objects now share same data, including text itself. Edit one - the rest will follow.”

I guess it makes sense for non-text objects, but it must be a rare situation to have many identical copies of the same text which can all be changed by changing only one. I suppose I’ll have to adapt to the established design.

As for the menu item, “Paste Clipboard”, I discovered that when poking around and have been making use of it. But, thanks for taking the time to seek out a possible solution to my ‘problem’.

I’ll continue with what I’m doing: shift-d, edit-mode, delete-delete-delete…, paste-clipboard.