Snapping this edge to that edge while keeping object intact

I begin to feel quite familiar with the snapping tools, but now I wonder if I’ve reached the limits of what’s possible. Here’s the problem:

I want to align the plane, so that the B edge aligns with the A edge. But Blender will only align the center of the plane with other edges, so there’s no way to move the plane so that B aligns to A.

The plane will not be part of the finished mesh. It’s just for measurement. The idea was to duplicate a part of the mesh, align it with another part, and then snap the C edge in Z direction to the top edge of the plane. There may be a better way to do it, but I’m a beginner.

You’ve cropped the image so no snapping settings, mesh selection mode or version visible.

Looks like you’re in face selection mode. Default snap target is closest so if you use vertex or edge snapping while moving along axis, it should snap just fine.

Constraining movement on Y and then on Z in combination with edge snap you have on should do it - GY, snap and GZ, snap. Could be that you would need to move plane up z so that B is above A before it snaps to the correct edge.

Keep the mouse cursor ahead of the element you want to snap when move… If this makes sense.

Sorry about that. Here’s a better image:

I grab Z on the 3D manipulator and pull it upwards, while holding Ctrl. But there’s no way to snap it so that the bottom edge of the plane aligns with the bottom edge of the rest of the mesh. To be clear, this is the result I want to achieve with snapping:

But the plane will only snap so that its center aligns with other edges. I wish I could select an edge I want to snap, rather than the center.

Copy/Paste (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V) source (edge or vertex) Transform Z value to destination Transform Z value.

Thank you, this is probably a better way. Still curious if the snap I attempted is possible though.

Thought that the manipulators gave the difficulty but I couldn’t replicate it with them either

You could also:

• move the measure-object’s origin to the bottom edge
    (select the bottom edge,
    Shift-S > Snap Cursor to Selected,
    go to Object mode,
    Select menu > Transforms > Origin to 3D Cursor),
  • select your main object (the one with ‘C’ edge),
  • go to Edit Mode,
  • select the bottom edge you want to the measurement-object to align to,
  • Shift-S > Snap Cursor to Selected,
  • back to Object Mode,
  • select your measurement object,
  • Shift-S > Snap Selected to Cursor.

A bit more set-up than the other method mentioned above, but it works.

You should not use manipulators while drag and try to snap. As soon as your mouse cursor is where gizmo’s arrow is - this is NOT where mouse cursor should be if you want snap to work right.
Cursor shows blender what/which element you want to snap out of that bunch you drag. Cursor’s position is taken into account.

Use G key (and axis if you want to restrict). Position cursor in front of the element you will move considering direction you want to move to.
Press Ctrl key when you are close to the final destination (magnet icon OFF, snapping set to needed mode -verts, edges, faces).

For your example vertex snapping is even better - you could snap into one go instead of two like with edges.

For even more complex snaps - A key marks snapping point (that tiny ring which appears if snap occurs - you let go Ctrl key and press A, then Ctrl again and move cursor to the next snapping point you choose); if you mark several, snapping point will be in the median/center (what’s set on dropdown) point.

Thank you for the video, JA12. I got it now. If I start pulling the plane upwards from below the cube, the bottom edges won’t snap. But if I first position the plane in Z direction on top of the place (like in your video), and then try to snap the bottom edges together, it works fine. Obviously, your “snap options” are limited by your starting position.

Many thanks to all others too, who helped out with this one.

Set your “snap target” to active (not closest) and set edge mode, that active edge will snap correctly without starting position limits.

I never thought of doing it this way. Works well. Thank you.