Cambridges' past on "Planet Paige"

i thought i would get some Critiques on this its for a movie i’m working on
i know that it still needs alot of work done to it like the inside and the pillars on the outside
the character is a low res model of my avatar so their wont be any close up shots of the model just distance
shots
when i do close up shots of the model i’ll use the high res model
originally i was going to use ivy on the building but it was to many verts so i went to moss
later on when i get this all done the building will be exploded so i’m not worried to much about cracks or details

The road is to noisy. I would download a texture for the road, and stencil it in. Then one for the concrete.

The grass needs more randomness. plenty of tuts on youtube for that.

i made the road with my own node setup no texture i can ajust the noise and the color.
i agree with the concrete i used the same node setup as the road for it just changed the color will make some adjustments on it.
the grass is dead because the planet is becoming a waste barren land during this phase of the movie and the soil barley has any nutrients to grow anything.

and thanx i’ll get to work on this some more tomorrow.:slight_smile:

You should break up the materials on that vehicle. Don’t leave it all as one big herpe like that. The barrels on the chain gun things would be a different type of metal than say, the metal that the car is made of. It takes a lot of intricate tinkering to get anything truly awesome.

i agree with you Brookesy

i was going to take the fighter ship apart but i thought i would wait until the scene was done before i did the detailed stuff on it because i would have to push and pull verts to make it look like the parts fell off from rusting and make new faces.

and i agree with you on the guns because i thought about it and different types of metal rust at different speeds i’ll change the texture on the guns later

everything is almost to scale like the building is 40’ height and 60’ width the character is 5’6" and the ship is big enough to hold two characters

i might take both wings off the ship and use particles to gen debree of parts then move the ship toward the building

i still have to add the debree for the in and out of the building to it looks to bare

and thanx i’ll get to work on all this later going job hunting today

Your color composition isn’t very good. You need to improve the road texture because a road is rarelly flat and neat and it’s not as dark and black as everyone thinks. The ground is DEAD FLAT which is bad. You said the grass is “dead” it doens’t seem like it’s dead, the problem is, it looks good when it’s a far shot but it doesn’t when you do a close shot, they don’t really fit in the atmosphere of the scene which is really dim and dull. The wall which is supposed to be partially destroyed looks like a broken biscuit. Moss is ok. Again the “ship” does not belong in the scene in terms of color and contrast (you might want to debate this with me though). The tree looks like it has been created by some kind of addon. If you want to have a good render (even for presentation of what you are doing) you MUST work on the light, you can’t just put 1 light and add some environment lightning especially when you are doing an animation !

i agree with you on the color and the road

the color looks kind of flat to me so do all my renders i think its because i’m using to much light and not getting enough shadows but the shadows follow where the sun goes so it would be on the other side and depending on how bright it is outside, got two sun lamps one on top and the other at a 85 degree in front.

the road i looked at some roads today to compare and this is what it looks like fresh paved i need to turn it to kind of a grey to get the worn down look and throw some textures on it to give it a little variation.

the grass looks to thick to me but the color is about right needs little adjustment , if you look at hey its about the same color hey is over grown dead grass.

and the ship throws the color off balance i would have to use a texture that would balance it out.

right now i’m bouncing between this and the blender guru comp that started this week

i tried working on this and my textures keep dispersing in the view port on me when i go to show texture but show in the view port render i dont know whats going on with that

well getting ready to get back to work on this when i get some more done i’ll post it
just got done with the blender guru comp christmas scene rendering it on another computer @3000x2750 with 2000 samples might not get done for a few days
i tell you what i never knew high res pics could show every detail untill now i can see all the displaces and everything in it WOW

found out why my textures were not showing had the same problem alot had to open a new scene and append this scene to the new one

ok made some adjustments on a few things but my computer is having prob-lames rendering the scene so i decided to virus scan,scan disc and defrag my system the defrag is taking the longest going on two days now might be another day or two before i can check my system if it still does not render going to break the scene in to render layers to reduce the stress on my computer.

well heres what ive got so far
i decided to try to blend in the ship with the scene so i put some grass on it to try to give it a little blended coverage
and i add a texture to the sidewalk and the pavement

this will probably be my last update on this for a while going to try to finish before next update

the movie is starting to look awesome just have to do a little work on building, background,some particles,and posing the character

did a test run on what i have and blew my mind:spin:

i’ll render an image out later today and post tomorrow

this what i have so far.
the building is a stand in for the original one because, of the explosion.
was going to use explode mod then i changed my mind and went with cell fracture on the building because i only have 200,000 verts used out of 800,000 so i still have 600,000 verts to work with and i already have to much hair in the scene i can still add more if needed.
the original building will be the start untill the explosion then during a bright flash i will switch the buildings.
it happens so fast its not noticeable this scene is in 4 frames so thats how fast it will happen it’s more or less a blur.
the color is about right for a flash back memory i guess other than using black and white.