Scaling and dynamic range

I have two main interests:

1. Architecture
  2. Naturalistic still life

With the architecture work it feels fairly important to work at true (1x) scale.
Some of the models and shaders I have built up for the still life work are at arbitrary (large) scales

Normally both worlds are separate but occasionally I might want to bring an object from my still-life library into an architectural model.

I’m considering rescaling my still-life objects to 1x also but I can see that this will entail some work on mending broken shaders etc.

I’m happy to do this but is it a good idea?

How important is scale in Blender ?

Is Blender able to handle everything from a building to a small insect (say) in a single scene?

I’d be grateful for any advice …

Scale is as important as the amount of time it will save you to not have to tweak and adjust things later. I try to model everything to scale, it’s not really any more difficult than doing it at arbitrary scales and it save time later.

Blender can support a pretty wide range of scales while maintaining good enough precision. I model everything in inch (1 blender unit = 1") scale, And I have never had any difficulty with scenes (tradeshow booth renders for big shows like E3) up to 100’x200’. Other than it being a little more difficult to navigate, blender seemed to handle it just fine. I have small screws with details < 1/32" in the same scene as 150’ wide conference room structures. I will say that the viewport performance does degrade as you increase the clipping distance, you can see wires through objects and the like, but nothing too extreme.

Thanks SterlingRoth. I’ll bite the bullet and rescale my stuff before I build up much more of a library.