When switching from Cycles to Blender Render, Surface - no material node selected

When switching from Cycles to Blender Render, clicking on Surface (playing around), and finding nothing that works, I find there is no way to go back to Use Data Nodes and I get the error: no material node selected, I didn’t notice it for days, and saved the file… ops…

Is there a way to fix this?

I searched the Internet and did not find anything that helped, but I do see issues when going back and forth this way, but I am trying to switch to Cycles, but I have no idea what I am doing, so its back to learning mode.

Turn off Use Shader Nodes button, unless you want to set up blender render node material

The material systems for each render engine are not compatible with each other so why would you want to switch between the two. If you do you should remove the material and create a new one from scrtach

Your right, learning curve, I guess you can not set it up to work in both worlds, is that true?

The Reason to have both, would be for transitioning from one to the other, but it does not look like its possible, and bottom line is that I want to use Cycles, so having this backward compatibility is not really necessary.

Edit: You have to set the Internals Material Node to Fake (F), so that Cycles does not permanently remove it when it creates its own Node, but my question is how can I fix it, and it seems the only way I found was to delete the material and add fake user first.

Thanks