Monsters Inc. Scare Floor Project

Hey everyone!

I have been using blender for about a year and this is my first major project I have done in blender. I am trying to recreate the scene from Monsters Inc. in the “scare floor” were all the doors are lined up and the monsters scare the kids. The scene is about 5-6 hours of modeling and the render took 2 hours at 200 samples.

The first one is my image (as you can probably clearly tell :D).
All the materials are just simple diffuse and I haven’t started texturing yet. There is still just a little modeling to be done and a lot more lighting.

I would appreciate any comments or critiques you have on the image as a whole, or on anything specific. What what I really need some advice on is the lighting, I’m trying to recreate that atmospheric look and not have just a dull flat lighting set up like I do now. If you want to take a shot at setting up the lighting yourself, send me an email at [email protected] and I can send you the blend file (I tried to upload it but there was an error). I would be more than happy if you could do better than me :slight_smile:

Again, I am looking for any advice you can give.

Thank you,
Will

The image is excellent, but there are some things to point out. The grid on the display in the back is not the same number of squares. This is important, because the original gives less clutter in the distance, so I think you should update that. Your version is very clean, which allows a good comparison on the lighting. In the very front of the image, the spotlight over the first door shows a slight halo on the ground. Notice in the original, it’s more yellow. That is because the orginal is post processed. I wanted to point it out, because the minimal effect on your version is great to this comparison. The large red creature on the right also adds contrast to that effect. So in all, I love your image, it gives a lot of options. I can’t wait to see it textured. One last thing about lighting. The original has a colder hue. Don’t adjust this too much until you try some color enhancement in the post process stage, then try to work backwards on it.

Great job! I’m not really noticing anything wrong with the lighting, it looks pretty spot on to me. I would start working on texturing and adjusting the lighting when needed.

Camera focal length seems a little bit off to me . . .